Cell information of rasters for web map

Jump to solution
03-29-2021 12:36 AM
NigelBerjak
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all

I have some large raster datasets that I want to obtain the cell values from in ArcGIS online via a web map. However currently, after tiling the raster, it seems that I cannot get the cell value via a popup unless I then link a feature collection of polygons, containing the values. I can do this, but it eats credits like Pac-Man eats food and is not sustainable.

This is a general question about the raster popup cell values, however the current datasets I am trying to incorporate are the Global Wind Atlas data sets that they have available i.e. if I could get these using a WMS or similar service, presently it would overcome my difficulty. However the principle for me is more how to produce a raster for ArcGIS online web maps that can have pop-up information be displayed from cell values.

Thanks and I hope someone has a simple solution that I have overlooked.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Imagery layers can be created from ArcGIS Pro, from a browser, or even through a Python notebook. There are different types of layers for different uses. For instance, the tile packages and the cached tiles in general are built for primarily performance not for raster analysis. The trade off is losing access to the pixel values in a pop-up to achieve better performance when displaying the imagery in the map or app. If the value of the pixels for thematic imagery or using the imagery in other analysis is important then the imagery layers from ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Image Server. For a layer that will simply be used to provide context to a web map or allow someone to visualize what is there, then the tile cache, tile package, or other cached imagery layer will work fine. With ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online, you can provide a fast displaying imagery layer with the ability to visualize it how you want because it provides access to the raster bands and pixel values. For a cached layer, those choices have already been made to provide a specific visualization. Some cached layers can be used in analysis with the proper environment settings, but in general an image service or imagery layer will provide the functionality to use the imagery as you would a image on your desktop application. 

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak

Hi Jeffrey

Thanks for your response. I have an ESRI Professional (Basic) license without additional extentsions.

Based upon your comments, am I correct that I would require ArcGIS Image for AGOL or ArcGIS Image Server in order to achieve pixel values for an online map/app? And therefore presently I am not able to achieve this with my current licensing. 

I am just trying to get a definitive understanding.

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @NigelBerjak ,

That is correct. With the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online user type, you can host imagery layers that are capable of providing access to the source pixels and give the user the ability to display the imagery as they desire. 

Here are two different blogs that discuss some of the functionality that I described. 

How can Tiled imagery layers from ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online make your imagery more useful?

and one on another type of imagery layer that provides more control of the display for the user. 

Control the visualization of your imagery with dynamic imagery layers

I hope this explains what is available. If you have any additional questions, then please feel free to reach out. 

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak

Hi Jeffrey

Thanks for the confirmation, although like many others, I really think that the basic pixel value of a raster should be an option for all users, without additional extensions being required.

0 Kudos