Imagery Layer not shareable with the public...

Jump to solution
11-30-2023 01:18 PM
MiltonSolano
Occasional Contributor

Hi Folks,

Can anyone explain why the option to share with Everyone (public) is greyed out in ArcGIS Online when sharing an imagery layer? See the attached screenshot where this option is not available. I'm an admin on my organization but I can find how to share this layer type with the public?

I haven't found any documentation about limitations on publishing these datatypes with the public. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Milton

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sshelbypm
Esri Contributor

Hi Milton - Is this a Dynamic Imagery layer you are trying to share publicly? If so, it is true that those imagery layers are not allowed to be shared publicly. However, Tiled Imagery layers are allowed to be shared publicily.

Take a look at this blog post for a bit more information about the imagery layer types:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/imagery/guide-to-streaming-imagery/

Thanks!

Shea

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sshelbypm
Esri Contributor

Hi Milton - Is this a Dynamic Imagery layer you are trying to share publicly? If so, it is true that those imagery layers are not allowed to be shared publicly. However, Tiled Imagery layers are allowed to be shared publicily.

Take a look at this blog post for a bit more information about the imagery layer types:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/imagery/guide-to-streaming-imagery/

Thanks!

Shea

0 Kudos
MiltonSolano
Occasional Contributor

Hi @sshelbypm ,

Thank you for the quick reply. Now, why on earth is this option limited? What is the reason behind?

One cool thing (among many others) about imagery layers is the option to download the rasters in Hub sites. Unfortunately, tiled imagery doesn't have this functionality.

(A bit of rant) I have a bunch of tiled imagery layers already published but my users can't download directly from the interface and have to read the description to find the download link on the description.

If only tiled imagery had the option to download external links defined on the metadata, would be great.

Cheers,

Milton

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Milton, 

This wouldn't happen to be a dynamic imagery layer would it?  If so, then you cannot share it with everyone. If you want to share it with everyone, please use a tiled imagery layer. 

Here are a couple of blogs that go into the details in more detail. 

Dynamic imagery layers

Tiled imagery layers