Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating indoor wayfinding network across a campus

03-12-2024 07:57 AM
BenCunninghamCville
New Contributor II

Hello all.

I am working on the large project of importing an entire college campus into the Indoors Data Model. We have CAD floorplans for everything and I've gotten familiar with using the Import Floorplans to Indoors GDB using the provided spreadsheet, so I have that part figured out (mostly).

Some questions I have about best-practices though relate to the Wayfinding aspect of Indoors.

• How should I create multiple facilities' Indoor networks to each other?
    • All tutorials I have followed relate to only one building at a time and do not address scenarios of multiple buildings.
  • Do I need to run each building independently and then join them to an exterior wayfinding network?
  • For a dataset as large as an entire college campus, are there any limitations I should be aware of?

This is my first foray into creating, managing, and using networks for wayfinding, indoors or outdoors, so any advice on how to go about this is helpful.

Thanks

2 Replies
YvonneMorales
New Contributor

Hi there,

From what I know is you'll have to run the buildings independently and then manually create pathways connecting to the exits and entrances of each building. For an entire campus, you would just combine them into a single geodatabase.

Hope this helps! 

Jinho_Kang
Occasional Contributor

Creating preliminary pathways and transition features building by building tends to be a safer approach since each building has its own lattices, angles, and sizes to be considered.

Also, it would be easier to troubleshoot and re-configure the GP tool parameters if you don't like the outcome's result.