Current Features Map Draw Limit

Jump to solution
02-06-2024 11:03 AM
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello, hope all is well 

• What's the feature draw limit on the map for version Insights Desktop 2023.3? 
  • Also, is the map feature draw limit for 2023.3 the same as version 2022.1?
Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ 

What's the feature draw limit on the map (say on a city scale level) for version Insights Desktop 2023.3?

There is no set limit at a specific scale and It is hard to predict how many features will display at a particular scale but you can assume that you will not be able to see more than 100-112k features on the map. It is difficult to make sense of that much data in such a small map card, so I will suggest you set filters accordingly. Users can always zoom and pan to see more features in the area of their interest. 

Points will be faster to render and more of them will display than polygons. It might be wise to use tree centroids instead of polygons if that is an option. 

I can't say for sure but I don't believe it has changed in the last couple of years so should be the same.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ ,

I am wondering what issues you are facing or if is it blocking you in any way.

It depends on a combination of factors like scale, extent, feature layer limitations, etc. The map card should show a warning sign if the features are not displayed. Clicking on the warning sign should show you how many features are displayed to the current extent.

AkshayHarshe_0-1707500018087.png

Let me know.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Akshay, thank you for providing a response. So, I will be bringing over a tree segmentation feature class via database connection to Insights. Now this is a county wide dataset, so you can imagine that there are gonna be hundreds of thousands of tree polygon features with the total number of records in millions. So, I know that Insight won't support drawing all of these features. That's why I asked the following questions. Now, I will add a drop down menu to filter out data based on a city. But even then I guess Insights won't be able to show each and every tree polygon if the total exceeds a certain limit/threshold.

• What's the feature draw limit on the map (say on a city scale level) for version Insights Desktop 2023.3? 
Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @Ed_ 

What's the feature draw limit on the map (say on a city scale level) for version Insights Desktop 2023.3?

There is no set limit at a specific scale and It is hard to predict how many features will display at a particular scale but you can assume that you will not be able to see more than 100-112k features on the map. It is difficult to make sense of that much data in such a small map card, so I will suggest you set filters accordingly. Users can always zoom and pan to see more features in the area of their interest. 

Points will be faster to render and more of them will display than polygons. It might be wise to use tree centroids instead of polygons if that is an option. 

I can't say for sure but I don't believe it has changed in the last couple of years so should be the same.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos