Introducing Manager (Beta)

10-25-2023 08:42 PM
SarahMcDonald_Esri
Esri Contributor
6 7 1,730

Manager (beta) is a new Instant Apps template that offers the ability to review the data from multiple maps and modify editable layers. The app displays a table in the main stage of the app to review records from layers. Alongside the table are a small map to visualize features in the web map and a pop-up panel to view the pop-ups of selected features and make edits if needed. This app is set to replace for the existing Crowdsource Manager app.

SarahMcDonald_Esri_0-1698085974121.png

Set up the app

In Manager (beta), you can add multiple maps in which to review the data. The app can be created from the Instant Apps home page without any content, with a web map from Map Viewer or from the item details page of a web map. In the app configuration you can add maps from the available options in the map stack. The process of adding maps to the app is different from Crowdsource Manager since groups are no longer a requirement for adding maps to the app.

SarahMcDonald_Esri_1-1698085974124.png

Once you have completed adding all the desired maps into your app, you will have options to configure the other settings that are available:

• Edit in table —Double-click a cell in the table to update a record.
  • Header —Choose to include or not include a header in the app.
  • Basemap gallery— Provide a collection of basemaps to use in the map.
  • Theme settings—Change the appearance of the app by applying dark or light mode, add a logo to the header, and use custom or predefined colors to style certain elements in the app.
  • Basic map navigation tools —Include Home, Zoom tools, Legend, or Search in the map.

SarahMcDonald_Esri_2-1698085974158.png

Review data

Manager (beta) displays the attribute table of one layer at a time, switching the active layer from the top of the table. Using the table, users can select features that need further review or to be updated. The table includes tools to assist with reviewing and editing data. These tools include:

• Zoom— Zoom the map to the features that are selected in the table.
  • Delete— Permanently delete features that are selected in the table.
  • Clear selection— Clear any selections made in the table.
  • Show selected— Filter the table to only show selected features.
  • Select all— Select all the features in the table.
  • Switch selection— All the records that are currently selected will be unselected and records that are unselected will be selected.
  • Refresh— Refresh the data in the map to show any new or updated features.
  • Export to CSV (Optional)— Download the records in the table to a CSV file.

SarahMcDonald_Esri_3-1698085974164.png

Make edits

Once users have reviewed the data in the app, there may be records that require edits. In Manager (beta), there are two ways that edits can be made. With the Edit in table setting on, there is the option to double-click a cell in the table and make an edit. The other option is to use the pop-up panel to make edits to a single feature. Selected features in the table display their pop-ups in the panel to the side of the table. Once a feature is opened, the pop-up panel displays the feature’s associated attachments and records along with the Edit button.

SarahMcDonald_Esri_4-1698085974169.png

Once users click the Edit button, the editing form for that feature appears. You can determine how the editing form will look (which fields display, which are required, related records to edit, etc.) by configuring forms for web map attribute editing in Map Viewer.

SarahMcDonald_Esri_5-1698085974184.png

Roadmap

Manager (beta) will have additional updates in future releases. As this is the beta version of the app, it is a paired down version of what the app will eventually offer. Here are the updates that we are still looking into and plan to make available in future releases of the app:

• Batch editing to update multiple features at once
  • Attribute filtering to filter features in the table
  • Additional layouts to display the table, pop-up panel and map in the app
  • The ability to choose field display order and field visibility in the table
  • Improved mobile support for the app

Try it out

We appreciate your feedback so we can continue improving our templates. Comment below or use the ArcGIS Instant Apps Ideas page. Explore the Manager (beta) sample app in ArcGIS Online or create your own app.

7 Comments
PaulDoherty2
Occasional Contributor III

We just started testing this out and like the new approach.  It is a little too limited to do hands-on testing for our workflows at the moment but acknowledge the road map above.

Our use case is managing the status of various field observations and calls for rescue. We currently use Web AppBuilder (testing Experience Builder) but the table interface is not ideal and batch attribute editing requires a little extra training. See https://screenpal.com/u/FcTw/SARCOPTraining for more.

Highest priority for us is: 

1) The ability to choose field display order and field visibility in the table (right now, ALL of the fields display and in a sort of random order, this makes using the data very challenging).

2) Attribute filtering to filter features in the table (without this, it is difficult to manage larger datasets)

3) Batch editing to update multiple features at once (without this, it is difficult to manage larger datasets)

4) Additional layouts to display the table, pop-up panel and map in the app

5) Improved mobile support for the app

One potential bug or design issue, it appears I cannot resize the width of the last column? 

PaulDoherty2_0-1699641302755.png

shapirot
New Contributor III

Agree with Paul on #1 being a top priority.  Not being able to adjust field visibility/order in the table is a huge limitation.

Also, being able to customize the size of each window would be nice.  (larger map, smaller table, etc)

AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @PaulDoherty2 ,

You mentioned in your comment that you were not able to resize last column, could you please try to use the right most bar of the last column to resize? When you hover over the top right corner of the last column, a blue bar and the move handle will show appear, try to use that blue bar, you should be able to resize it. 

AzizaParveen1_0-1699906248610.png

amf2224
New Contributor

Hi Sarah! 

Thanks for this blog post. 

I was wondering when this app is set to replace the Crowdsource Manager app? I'm currently setting a crowdsource manager app up to edit data that has related tables. 

A simple explanation of the workflow is that a survey123 is filled out in the field which has a related table because we utilize the repeat ability in Survey123. I love that the crowdsource manager app allows you to click on a point (or row) and shows you the related table information and allows you to edit it or add a new record. 

when will the manager app have this functionality? current - it shows you the related table, but i can't figure out how to connect it to the original point.

ArmstKP
Occasional Contributor III

A top priority for us would be adding url parameters so we can email a link and have the app zoom to a feature.

MartaAnalytics
New Contributor

Hello, 

I am testing the app at the moment and I see that even thought I have limited the edits of the feature layer to attribute only (in the feature layer settings), the Manager app does not respect these settings and allows for the features to be deleted. I think it would be great to add a 'Save' and 'Undo' button as well, in case something goes wrong.

Thank you,

Marta

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@MartaAnalytics If you are the owner of the layer or an admin, or a user with full editing privileges, I believe it's possible you can still make full edits to the layer. Are other users still able to delete features?

About the Author
Product Engineer