Sidebar instant app. Search does zoom to location

04-25-2023 01:49 PM
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

I am the using Search in the sidebar instant app, I configured a map layer to be searchable.

The map does not select or zoom to the searched feature.

The pop-up shows in the Info panel.  However, even zoom, seems to zoom in randomly on the map, the map should center around the point, and highlight it.  

RyanBohan_1-1682455559648.png

I have tried clearing my cache, and turning on "Show animations in Windows"

Thank you

7 Replies
BrittanyBurson

I am seeing the same "random" zoom behavior as well when clicking on the Zoom button for the feature.

BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

One thing I would recommend is to explicitly set the zoom level and see if that helps you out. Go into full setup mode and toggle this on and then set the scale.

BernSzukalski_0-1682459877891.png

If the map/app is shareable I can have a quick look...

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

After further experimentation, I may be seeing similar search zoom behavior. If possible, can you share the map with me and how you configured it? I've managed to come up with a repro case, but your specific example would be helpful if it is available. Here's my repro case, see if you can replicate what you see with this example:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/instant/sidebar/index.html?appid=f32fb897044a4cee872949d2dbe04115

In the above, a layer in the map has been configured as the search target. Enter the name of a pass (you can start with "s") to check things out. Then pan or zoom to another feature and click to display the pop-up in the sidebar, then click zoom. I've discovered there's a certain sequence that can result in what's been noted above. See if you concur.

Anticipate a fix in the upcoming June update (if not earlier).

0 Kudos
RyanBohan

Hello @BernSzukalski,

Thank you for the example.  My app has yet to go public, I will share if the search is included when it goes live.  Yes, it appears to be glitchy, definitely better than yesterday.  Thank you of you helped push something.

The Zoom Scale now does something, on 4/25 it did not matter what you had this bar set to.

RyanBohan_0-1682539958810.png

On a side note, does instant app have an early adopter or beta tester program?  I would be happy to help test instant app features before they go into production.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

Hi Ryan

The issues that were discussed in this thread have been reproduced and a fix has already been applied on the development environment. I've not verified the fix yet, but will do so. The issue can happen when you use both the Zoom in the Sidebar panel, and also a custom search target in the Search tool.

AFAIK there haven't been any changes. Remember that there are two zoom settings that can be configured. One is for the Zoom link you see in the Sidebar panel when you click a feature, the other is an option zoom scale for when you've configure the Search tool. Maybe that is what you are noticing now.

The Instant Apps are available in the ArcGIS Online Early Adopter program. Info here:

https://www.esri.com/en-us/user-research-testing/early-adopter?rsource=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.esri.com%2F...

0 Kudos
RyanBohan

Hi @BernSzukalski,

Thank you for the information on the two locations for zoom level. I will try adjusting both.

I signed up for the ArcGIS Online Early Adopter program, thank you for the link.

AnneTetley
Occasional Contributor

What about the scenario where you might want to zoom right into a point feature, but want to zoom to the extent of a polygon?  I can't see a way of enabling that particular combination at the moment.  

I have a polling district map where a user may click on a polling station (point) and also return the Polling District (polygon) and in the results pane you would ideally allow the user to zoom to the correct extent for either feature.  

As the app is currently I get the choice to zoom right into building level for the point layer by setting the zoom level across the board to building level OR zoom to full extent of the polling district polygon by turning off that zoom functionality.  Either way one of the feature types is zooming to an inappropriate level.

0 Kudos