3D Web Applications

Jump to solution
04-04-2016 11:00 AM
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if it would be possible to build an application with the following functionality. This would be kind of like a CityEngine - lite. The application would have:

• 3D perspective view of parcels/roads
  • you can click 1 or many parcels
  • has tools to apply mass modeling to the selected parcel(s), offset, height...
  • has a report window displaying gfa/far/sq ft for what you just modeled
  • able to save the work into a text file so it could be loaded again at a later date

This is just something we've been throwing around in discussions and so I thought I'd put it up here to see. Let me know if this is better off in another area of geonet. It is very much CityEngine related, but I thought something like this may be more appropriate in the JavaScript area?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

This will be possible with the 4.x JavaScript API (CityEngine not required). The tools you describe would need to be developed on your own, but this type of app would certainly be possible. Note that feature editing won't be part of the 4.0 release, so you would need to look out for 3D editing coming in a future release post 4.0 (although if you're saving to a text file, feature editing may not necessarily be required, but it could certainly make your work easier).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

This will be possible with the 4.x JavaScript API (CityEngine not required). The tools you describe would need to be developed on your own, but this type of app would certainly be possible. Note that feature editing won't be part of the 4.0 release, so you would need to look out for 3D editing coming in a future release post 4.0 (although if you're saving to a text file, feature editing may not necessarily be required, but it could certainly make your work easier).

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Wait- are you saying that feature editing of 3D features won't be part of v4.0 or feature editing won't be available AT ALL at v4.0??

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes. In version 4.0, editing will not be supported. It will be coming in another 4.x release. The focus in 4.0 has been stabilizing the basic pieces of the new API. There's a lot more going on in 4.x than 3.x that we have to consider -- 3D being one of the main additions. Before tackling editing, we need the foundation for 2D and 3D to be in place all while providing a simple, consistent API for creating apps in both types of views.

ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Kristian. This sounds promising. Is there an ETA on 4? I see it's been out in beta for a while.

Chris

0 Kudos