4.x Search Widget - Animation Frame Callback Bug?

08-16-2017 02:12 PM
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III

Hi,

The Search Widget at 4.x consistently and constantly causes an Animation Frame Callback which requires computing resources. This happens regardless of map or search activity. See attached picture from IE performance profile. On a machine with a modest CPU this uses between 10-25% CPU.

Try this: https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/sandbox/index.html?sample=widgets-search...

and check the dev tools for to see the animation frame callback or system resources to see browser CPU usage. 

Is this a Bug?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasSolow
Occasional Contributor III

Are you seeing this with other widgets or only search?  The 4.XX widgets use a virtual DOM called maquette, and it seems possible that this is causing the issue.

0 Kudos
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III

Thomas, do you know if this has been addressed or is going to be. We just upgraded to the 4.5 API and still see the issue. 

Thanks,

Quinn

0 Kudos
ThomasSolow
Occasional Contributor III

My guess is that this has something to do with some combination of the widget rendering more than you'd expect (maybe more than necessary) and IE being outdated.

When I look at performance on chrome, I see a small amount of additional resources being used when I add the search widget, but nothing excessive.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about browser performance or what the next logical steps would be to debug this.  I'd recommend filing a bug report through customer service.  If you have screenshots showing IE memory usage with and without the search widget, I'd include those.

0 Kudos
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III

Thomas, I see the same behavior in LayerList but not the others I checked (Legend, Basemap Gallery and Print). I've included another picture of the search performance profile from IE. The animation frame callback references the JS API 4.4 line 341 column 417. Thanks.

0 Kudos