ArcGIS Javascript  connecting to external GPS device?

02-01-2012 08:55 PM
StevenSchuldt
New Contributor
I'm tasked with building an application that will run on at least iOS devices.  I'd much prefer to make it an HTML5 app and use the Geolocation features provided by that spec.

What I haven't been able to find reliable information on is:

If you use an external GPS device while hooked to an iPad/Droid/Whatever, will the external unit's GPS data be available from the iOS/Droid/Whatever browser, or will it just use the built in GPS?

Basically we need the accuracy of the external GPS device from the ArcGIS Javascript API - or we'll have to build platform specific apps, which wouldn't be good given our overall goals.

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
When you want to start talking to peripherals, you usually need some kind of SDK from the device manufacturer. I would talk to the company that makes the GPS you're planning to use and see if data from their device(s) is accessible from the browser. I would be surprised if they said yes.
0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor
Garmin has developed a javascript api based upon Prototype.  It allows end-users to upload/download their Garmin gps units to a website.  It's up to you as a developer, to determine what to do with the data.  All that it requires from the end-user is that they install a "Plugin" developed by Garmin.  I have successfully embedded this Garmin GPS functionality in some of my internal ArcGIS Server Javascript API applications.  My work flow allows the end user to connect their Garmin GPS units, "download" the waypoints, which ends up populating a dropdown list in my app.  The user can select a waypoint from the dropdown, fill in associated attributes, and then create a map graphic.  I then append the map graphics to a feature class (using a geoprocessing service).  My workflow allows biologists to collect wildlife observation data (species, quantity, male/female, age, etc.) and associate those attributes to the XY coordinate (waypoint) where the animal was observed.  It works great, although I'm struggling with some of the newer Garmin GPS units.  Garmin has changed the way that their data is stored and managed on newer devices, and this has created havoc with my application.  It still works great with older Garmin devices, but the newer ones are giving me fits!  See this link for more info on the Garmin Communicator API.

http://developer.garmin.com/web-device/garmin-communicator-plugin/

Ken
0 Kudos