Caching a Map Service then deleting map data?

07-19-2012 03:01 AM
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor
Hi

Probably an obvious answer but...

I have a large 15GB aerial imagery dataset that I would like to serve online through a cached map service but do not want to store the dataset itself on the server.

My question is if I was to delete the original aerial dataset after I have cached it as a map service, will the cache still be available to view or does the original data need to be kept in its location? My guess is the cached service will still run but if you were to add it as a dynamic service then the data would not show because it is not there?

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
"... After the cache is created, if you don't want to continue storing all of the source data on your server, you can remove some of the layers from the source map document. Leave at least one layer in the map document (a suggestion is a simple feature class with one feature covering the map extent), and leave the map document in the coordinate system used to create the cache. After you restart the service, you can safely remove the source data off the server for any layers you removed. As long as the service name and the cache name stay the same, users will continue to see the cache when they view the service.

Keep in mind that if you use this technique, users will not get any meaningful results when they query the service. If you want to maintain some queryable layers, you should leave them in the map document and leave the source data for those layers on the server. ..."

if you call service in mode dynamic service you see only layers in your msd/mxd
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
extra info see http://gistom.blogspot.it/2012/01/tips-for-caching-with-arcgis-server-10.html
"...After the cache is built you can change the map document used by the service. This is useful for reducing the amount of RAM used on the production system and removing a dependency on the source data. Once the cache is built, the content of the map document is only used for queries so it makes sense to simplify that map for just those items that will be queried..."
0 Kudos