js api license

02-12-2016 02:29 AM
MaximPostoronca
New Contributor

Hello, i can't seem to understand the license of the arcgis js api.

I would like to convince a client to switch from google maps to arcgis.

If i were to make a non public commercial website(web app viewer) for a small client, not using any arcgis online services, do i have to pay something? Does the basemap costs?

And if i add a public feature layer from arcgis online to my viewer?

Or if i want to be able to add geocoding and closest facility by paying only the credits it consumes ?

Thank you

I've tried contacting esri, but they don't like to deal with individual developers and small bussiness, seems only enterprise or go home

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You're soliciting a legal opinion on the Internet, which is worth exactly what you pay for it, but there's a decent answer over on gis.stackexchange.com.

If you understood more about what the JS API is, then some of the answers to your questions would be obvious.  It's important to understand that the JavaScript API isn't ArcGIS Online.  The JS API is a framework for writing browser-based applications.  JS API applications can consume map data from a number of sources, including local ArcGIS Server services (which are licensed separately).  They can also consume  ArcGIS Online services.  AGOL services may require additional cost,  depending how they are used -- This is the part where you really need to speak with an Esri representative (note that this is an AGOL use issue not JS API).

Esri is a large organization.  Perhaps you didn't contact the right department.  I know there are folks who explain licensing terms to individuals all day long, but there are other folks (the majority of us, really) who don't deal with license issues regularly, and would be understandably reluctant to provide incomplete or incorrect information, no matter how hard-pressed for a response.

- V

MaximPostoronca
New Contributor

I did saw that answer on stackexchange but it's 4 years old now. And i contacted the "For questions or to purchase, please contact your local Esri office." link.

0 Kudos
SvivaManager
Occasional Contributor II

I'd be happy to know if you received a clear answer by now..

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you contacted your local ESRI representative like Vince suggests above?

0 Kudos
SvivaManager
Occasional Contributor II

No it's just a fresh idea that I was hoping to find a quick answer for.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

You can start here:

Licensing & Attribution | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.8 

You can dive deeper here:

Full Master Agreements - Products and Services Terms of Use and Changes | Esri Legal 

There are additional links and legal jargin as well (such as the details on the Tile transaction limits and yearly limits to go offline.

You will more than likely end up having to talk to your local ESRI rep anyway to make the quotes and POs.

0 Kudos