Kinetic Panning Via The ESRI JavaScript API

09-29-2012 11:37 PM
jeffpalus
New Contributor III
Just to be consitent with other ESRI web mapping API's, please add kinetic scrolling (aka inertia scrolling) feature, like the way the map pan move in bing & google maps. When you pan around on the map, the expected behaviour is for the map the continue to slide proportionally to the speed you dragged/panned the map.

When the user drag the map, the map moves smoothly.
When the user release the left mouse button the map does not stop straight, but stops by the power of dragging the map you made.
0 Kudos
35 Replies
Dan
by
Occasional Contributor
Google Earth and Maps, and to some degree Bing, are quite successful at being platforms people use for maps but having kinetic panning is only one (and probably a minor one at that) of the many reasons for their success.

True, but it wouldn't be a far reach to assume that Google's/Bing's/others' market research found that kinetic panning was preferred or they would not have included it.

We'll look forward to it in 3.4 (please) with hopes of squeezing it in for 3.3 (double please).

Developers are a different story as that is a pretty picky audience.

True, at least in my case - �?�
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor

We'll look forward to it in 3.4 (please) with hopes of squeezing it in for 3.3 (double please).

Can't promise anything, but we'll be talking about it. Definitely not for 3.3.
0 Kudos
Dan
by
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for joining the discussion.
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Ideally, it "just feels right" and isn't directly noticed by users

I use Google Maps all the time, but I still had to fire it up and test it out to see what this thread was asking for.

Now that I've noticed it, I want it too.
0 Kudos
JoeJan
by
New Contributor
esri, please add it to 3.3
0 Kudos
jeffpalus
New Contributor III
ERSI ? IS there any news?
0 Kudos
ryanmordoff
New Contributor II
Are people still interested in this?  I was able to throw together a rough approach that seems to be working fairly well for me.  If anyone is interested let me know, I will probably clean it up and throw up on github in a few weeks.  Should work for 3.3 and 3.4.
0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor
I would definitely be interested. I made an attempt at this, but I think my math was off as my map just jumped around all over the place.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
Are people still interested in this?  I was able to throw together a rough approach that seems to be working fairly well for me.  If anyone is interested let me know, I will probably clean it up and throw up on github in a few weeks.  Should work for 3.3 and 3.4.

I would also be interested.
0 Kudos
ryanmordoff
New Contributor II
Sounds good, I should have it cleaned up in a few weeks.  Will let you know when I release it.
0 Kudos