More geometryEngine samples?

02-07-2017 06:43 AM
DavidChrest
Occasional Contributor II

Are there any more samples out there using the many methods of the geometryEngine (esri/geometry/geometryEngine | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.19 )? I have seen this blog series; GeometryEngine | ArcGIS Blog  and have utilized geometryEngine for a nice select-buffer-select tool, but was wondering what else was out there anybody may have? There is a lot of methods here that look to do many handy client side analysis.

Thanks for any samples provided.

David

0 Kudos
17 Replies
thejuskambi
Occasional Contributor III

This blog itself covers lot of methods, like within, union, overlaps, intersect etc.

GeometryEngine part 3: Overlay analysis | ArcGIS Blog 

It would be useful to understand what exactly you are looking for.

DavidChrest

Yes, that's a good one. I was just wondering if there were more use case examples besides overlay analysis.

0 Kudos
thejuskambi

I am not sure if there are any examples. They are just methods and they have been documented very well.

But, If we are asking what kind of use-cases they can be used? Then, GeometryEngine can be used in lot of other cases where you want to find the relation between 2 geometries, or with the densify to increase the vertex on a geometry or clip, cut, difference and rotate methods you could modify a geometry.

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

I presented on this topic at Dev Summit last year (and will again this year). Here's a recording of that presentation in which Dave Bayer and I show a lot of different samples demonstrating ways you can use GeometryEngine: Home | Esri Video 

Just a little background...GeometryEngine was originally designed for editing apps that required immediate feedback to the user, such as performing measurements, topology validation, etc. While many of the methods cater more to editing apps, there are probably other creative scenarios where you may find it useful. I'm always interested in seeing how others are using it in their own apps.

DavidChrest

Thanks so much! I will definitely check out the video!

0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
0 Kudos
DavidChrest

Thanks! I checked out the demo, looks great. Just one question, when I select the union results option and create multiple buffers, I does not look like they are getting unioned? Just checking to make sure I'm not missing something obvious because that is a really cool feature!

0 Kudos
JeffJacobson

It's not the most intuitive interface, but I couldn't think of anything better. You need to add more than one geometry to the "geometries" box and check the "union results" checkbox before clicking the "Buffer" button.

0 Kudos
DavidChrest

Ah yes, I see now. That is very cool! A great example of union functionality.

0 Kudos