Thinking of removing the VGI component from the Public Information Map Template

11-29-2011 01:33 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Looking for feedback from our community. 

If you are a current or potential user of the Public Information Map Template, please let us know what level of value you see in the "Shared Content" layer. 

Our own internal experience has been that very, very few people use this layer when deploying the app, and we're investigating removing it from the template altogether.

Please send your feedback via email (jarcher@esri.com;bagrios@esri.com), or just post a reply to this thread.

Thanks for your feedback!!

PIM team
0 Kudos
6 Replies
McCainMcMurray
New Contributor
I am working on a project using the public information map template. Given some of the issues with the social media APIs (twitter API appears to be changing often and causing problems for the template, geolocating youtube videos may or may not be possible at this point due to bugs), I am looking forward to having the VGI component as a simple, sturdy fallback. Right now that appears valuable to my ongoing work with this template.

Thanks for all your hard work with the PIM template, it is making my life so much easier these days.

McCain
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks so much for the input. 

Glad to hear you're having success with the template.  We love to hear it!!

Jeff
0 Kudos
MartinWhite
New Contributor
Is this still live I'm looking at using this app of ArcGIS with my University final project.  Any advice etc. would be appreciated I�??m trying to demonstrate the adv. and disadv. of internet GIS on disaster response.

Regards
Martin
0 Kudos
JayFowler
Esri Contributor
Hey guys!

The shared content layer seems to add a lot of functionality to the PIM. However, I cannot locate the  �??data�?� folder�?�, the �??PublicVGI.mdf�?�, or any mxds to set it up. Have they been removed?

Thanks,
Jay
0 Kudos
WilliamShuart
New Contributor II
Last year I took the Public Information Map template and dropped the shared content piece...  I was asked yesterday to"dust it off" and I'm having an issue with the Twitter feeds not displaying- but timing out.  I don't see any errors - any one else have/had this issue?  I even tried using the demo one and that doesn't display twitter either...
0 Kudos
MattDriscoll
Esri Contributor
A new version of this template has been added.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6e0bec987ac24e68b75d989fc23925cf
0 Kudos