Use ArcGis for Hybrid mobile web app

11-01-2013 03:08 AM
AlirezaTashvir
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I want to make a new hybrid mobile web app by the help of "HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, jQueryMobile," and "PhoneGap". This program is aimed to implement a map-rich app which enable users to investigate some instrument that are located in different parts of a region and find the instrument's problems or even damaged part. Then users want to save information about the operations which they have done based on the location they are at. This application should work offline in mobile devices since the internet usage by sim-card is very expensive for the organization and because of that I can't use some online services like googlemap or bing map. I want a service which I can cache the maps for use them in offline mode and also if this service can manipulate geolocation operations (like showing the current user location) it can be a plus advantage. When I read something about ArcGis, I was so interested but the problem is I don't know how it can be used in this way. My important concerns include :
1- Cache map information for offline use
2- Handling GeoLocation operations
3- Friendly user interaction with map service (saving data for a specific location, show mark-ups for saved location, etc.)

If someone can help me or give me a link (web address) to information which is related to my needs and how ArcGis can be used in this way, it will be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
You might want to look into LeafletJS. Esri has there own Leaflet plugins for working with ArcGIS services.

"Cache map information for offline use"

I haven't seen any samples of this, but that doesn't necessary mean that it isn't possible.
0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor
I've seen people mention they use the API with PhoneGap, but I haven't tried it yet. I know PhoneGap can access the file system http://docs.phonegap.com/en/1.7.0/cordova_file_file.md.html, so maybe if you stored the images as base64 encoded, you could modify the local storage example to work with it.
https://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/jssamples/exp_webstorage.html

Geolocation requires a connection, so if you can geolocate, you should be able to fall back to using regular web services anyway.
0 Kudos