Vector Tile Basemaps and Chrome Mac OS

06-20-2018 06:01 PM
bmanghi
New Contributor III

Has anyone else run into an issue with using Vector Tile layers in Chrome on Mac OS?  I'm using vector tile in one of our apps and seeing errors thrown related to Mapbox gl.  I also cannot get the Vector Tile sample from the API examples to load either.  A WebGL message is being thrown.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bmanghi
New Contributor III

Turns out WebGL is disabled in Chrome (v67) on Mac OS and is probably causing the issue.  I disabled WebGL in Chrome on Windows and saw the same errors.  I'll have to figure out another workaround or possibly push users to another browser.

0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

Beth Manghi‌ - that error message sounds like you're using an older 4.x version, before 4.2.  If you upgrade to a newer 4.x version you shouldn't see that sort of problem.
Release notes for 4.2 | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.7 

For the second part about the samples, did you try with the latest (4.7) samples like https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/layers-vectortilelayer/live/index.html  ?

0 Kudos
bmanghi
New Contributor III

Yes, I tried it with the 4.7 vector tile sample on my Macbook Pro (late 2011) using Chrome 67.  As I dug deeper into the issue, Chrome blacklists certain GPUs due to processing issues, etc. and WebGL isn't supported/is disabled.  The GPU (HD3000) on my Macbook Pro happens to be one of the blacklisted ones.  So it appears to be not only an issue of the client browser possibly having WebGL disabled, it could also be a hardware issue.