When will support for loading 3D tiles data?

07-28-2023 12:33 AM
Lerman
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello, does anyone know if there are plans for ArcGIS JavaScript API to support loading 3D tiles data? If there are plans, approximately which version will it be supported in? Thank you!

11 Replies
SaschaBrunnerCH
Esri Contributor
0 Kudos
Lerman
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @SaschaBrunnerCH , but there's no particularly useful information in this post. The next version of arcgis pro will support 3d tiles, and I think the API may have a plan for that as well.

0 Kudos
SaschaBrunnerCH
Esri Contributor

we are actively looking into it, but not able at this point to give some concrete date or release.

0 Kudos
Lerman
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @SaschaBrunnerCH A few years ago, Esri engineers submitted code to enable Cesium to support I3S .  In turn, Esri has been reluctant to support 3d tiles and has been actively considering it each time, but without making substantial progress.

0 Kudos
msa
by
New Contributor

Any updates? I'm particularly interested now that Google has published its amazing Photorealistic 3D Tiles (https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/tile/3d-tiles). It looks like Cesium is the only platform that can actually consume this data, but I'd like to use ESRI's SDKs.

0 Kudos
dani
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi,

While it is not yet possible to add 3D tiles to your scene, we are actively working on it. 
If you'd like to discuss your interest and requirements further, please reach out to our product manager on this topic, Andreas Lippold.

Best,
Dani

0 Kudos
VictorBerchet
Occasional Contributor

You can load the Google tiles with JS API 4.29.

See this post for details

dani
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

The JavaScript Maps SDK now supports loading integrated mesh 3D Tiles data, as of version 4.29. You can find the release notes for this topic here, which includes links to a relevant sample and the API reference documentation. 

Lerman
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm glad to see that version 4.29 has started to support 3D Tiles. I recently did some tests, and while some 3D Tiles can be displayed normally, others do not show up. In troubleshooting the undisplayed data, I found that in the browser network, some data only had one request for the tileset JSON file, while others had requests for b3dm files. Since there are no error messages in the browser console, it increases the difficulty for developers to troubleshoot issues.

On the developer website for the ArcGIS JavaScript API, there are no listed known limitations for the IntegratedMesh3DTilesLayer. However, I believe the API does have many limitations regarding 3D Tiles data, such as not supporting KTX2 textures, webp textures, and many extensions are also unsupported.

I would like to know whether the support and limitations of the ArcGIS JavaScript API for 3D Tiles extensions are consistent with those in ArcGIS Pro version 3.2.2. Also, what troubleshooting suggestions are there when 3D Tiles data does not display using the ArcGIS JavaScript API?

Thank you!

0 Kudos