Community Maps Program apartment complexes

06-20-2023 08:22 AM
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

What is the recommended method for adding apartment complexes to the Community Maps Program? I see where other cities seemed to have labeled buildings, but we have several multi-building apartment complexes. It would be easier to see and label them as a landuse category, but I am not sure if there is an existing category that I should add them to.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShaneM
by
New Contributor

Proper labeling of features like Apartment Complexes can be accomplished by using a Point Of Interest layer.  We recommend you create a point layer and place a point in the middle of the complex where it makes sense to label and have a Name field for your label.  You can do this to them across your extent!  Then submit that data to Esri as a POI through the Contributor App as a feature service.  Please reach out to Communitymaps@esri.com for more questions on this topic.

POI Label.png

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you. I had seen that other cities had added apartment complexes and I wanted to make sure I was submitting the data the correct way. Would it be possible to add a new landuse category for apartment complexes/multi-family dwellings? Wouldn't that make it easier to control the labeling behavor for them?

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos