Is it possible to our organization create a streets basemap without the streets on it? We like the streets basemap but the roads are not accurate

06-10-2020 12:32 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We use the streets basemap in our interactive maps but the streets and labels are often inaccurate so we overlay our roads layer on it but it is messy. It would be nice to have the streets basemap with no streets and just overlay our own roads centerline over that. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Andy-Green
Esri Contributor

William Schmahl‌ - thanks for your question.  There is one main way to achieve your result:

1) Contribute your data to the Esri Community Maps Program.  Your organization can contribute its local, authoritative content through the Community Maps Program.  Your data is integrated with data from other providers, and published and hosted by Esri as part of ArcGIS Online reference and thematic basemap layers.
This Streets (Community Maps) web map is our basemap that contains streets where they've been contributed to the program in place of HERE data.

And one alternative:

2) Use the Esri Vector Tile Style Editor and turn off the features you don't want to see in the map.  One potential downside is you lose those features across all the map, not just your area of interest.  But, it provides a "clean slate" of a map for you to add your own content as a map layer.  See a tutorial here.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much! I went into the Vector Tile Selector Editor and created what I needed in like 5 minutes lol. Now I will have to save that as a basemap and add it to all our interactive maps, how cool!

We did participate in the Community Maps Program about a year and a half ago but the person that did that work is now gone and we haven't heard anything about it since. Do we need to get the new coordinator's email to that program so we can get updates? 

Thanks,

Bill

Andy-Green
Esri Contributor

We will send you a message with contact information from our team who can help you out.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awesome, thanks so much! 

I see what you mean when I remove all the streets it removes ALL the streets lol. Too bad there isn't a way to 'clip' our county out of the basemap. Is there? lol

0 Kudos
ShaneMatthews
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Bill,

My name is Shane Matthews and I can help reacquaint you and Marion County GIS with Esri’s Community Program. 

I recommend we set up a call so that I can assist you in updating the account with more current contact information and update the AGOL Username, if necessary. Once we complete this, you will be able to access the account and begin with routine submissions in order to keep the basemap contemporary for your region.

Send me an email" smatthews@esri.com

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The Community Maps program is a great way to collaborate your local data with ESRI so you can easily use it in web apps as base maps.