Sentinel 2A - latest processing available in Living Atlas?

Jump to solution
08-01-2023 09:28 PM
Bio_InfoAdmin
New Contributor II

Dear community

For change detection in forest areas, I like to use the Sentinel 2A layer in the Living Atlas. https://aucklandcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=255af1ceee844d6da8ef8440c8f90d00

Copernicus Hub is currently reprocessing the archive images with an enhanced processing routine: https://sentinels.copernicus.eu/web/sentinel/technical-guides/sentinel-2-msi/copernicus-sentinel-2-c...

Does the layer in the Living Atlas include already the enhanced processing? How frequently is it updated?

Kind regards,

Jane

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RWaterman
New Contributor II

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your inquiry. ESA's move to a Collections model for Sentinel-2  is a good thing for all of us (analogous to Landsat Collections). A couple of quick notes for context:

• As noted in the status from ESA, the Collection-1 processing is currently in progress.
  • We source Sentinel-2 Level-2A imagery from Microsoft Planetary Computer who sources their Level-1 imagery from ESA (i.e. Microsoft performs L1 to L2 processing). More Info

Once Microsoft has all of the reprocessed Collection-1 imagery hosted on Planetary Computer, we will update our service. In order to avoid a mix of pre-Collection and Collection-1 imagery in our Living Atlas service, we will wait for the full Collection-1 archive to be available.

While we do not currently have a definite timeline from either ESA nor Microsoft for the full availability of Sentinel-2 Collection-1, we will make more of this information available as the processing unfolds and we have more to share.

Regards,

Rob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RWaterman
New Contributor II

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your inquiry. ESA's move to a Collections model for Sentinel-2  is a good thing for all of us (analogous to Landsat Collections). A couple of quick notes for context:

• As noted in the status from ESA, the Collection-1 processing is currently in progress.
  • We source Sentinel-2 Level-2A imagery from Microsoft Planetary Computer who sources their Level-1 imagery from ESA (i.e. Microsoft performs L1 to L2 processing). More Info

Once Microsoft has all of the reprocessed Collection-1 imagery hosted on Planetary Computer, we will update our service. In order to avoid a mix of pre-Collection and Collection-1 imagery in our Living Atlas service, we will wait for the full Collection-1 archive to be available.

While we do not currently have a definite timeline from either ESA nor Microsoft for the full availability of Sentinel-2 Collection-1, we will make more of this information available as the processing unfolds and we have more to share.

Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
Bio_InfoAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Rob,

thank you for the helpful answer! For the newest processing, I will download the Sentinel images from the Copernicus Sentinel Hub, until I see a notification that the Sentinel layers in the Living Atlas are updated. 

Kind regards,

Jane

0 Kudos