Merge polygons but retain geometry of shapes

07-16-2019 11:23 AM
ManuelHolguin
New Contributor

I'm not sure if it's possible but I wanted to merge these two polygons that overlap each other, but I'd like them to keep their original shapes (geometry). Is this possible?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

If you used the MERGE tool, Data Management Tools >> General >> Merge, the help states:

Merge (Data Management)

• This tool will not split or alter the geometries from the input datasets. All features from the input datasets will remain intact in the output dataset, even if the features overlap. To combine, or planarize, feature geometries, use the Union tool, Analysis Tools >>Overlay>>Union

Perhaps you have not changed the symbology for the result to Categories>>Unique values, which will show the 2 features with different color fills? Be sure to set the drawing order to put your "Star" polygon on top.

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
ManuelHolguin
New Contributor

Thanks for the speedy response! But I not sure that it is possible since it still shows up as two different polygons as a final result. I need the star shape to keep its geometry inside the square but I need them both to be the same polygon. Which as I say it sounds crazzy haha

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Now I see. That is a different problem. Essentially you want a multipart feature – one row in the attribute table, that retains the star shape inside the square shape, and when you select either one of them, both are selected, as they are parts of the same object.

The problem is that one feature completely contains the other. I do not know of a way to accomplish that. What are you attempting to accomplish? Perhaps there is a different workflow solution.

jim

Jim Cousins

GIS Project Scientist

S.S. Papadopulos & Associates, Inc.<http://www.sspa.com/>

7944 Wisconsin Avenue | Bethesda, Maryland 20814

Direct: (301) 500-2271 | Office: (301) 718-8900

jcousins@sspa.com<mailto:jcousins@sspa.com>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any attachments are intended only for the addressee(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, privileged, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure or use by a third party. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and its attachments, and destroy any electronic or hard copies that you may have created.

0 Kudos
ManuelHolguin
New Contributor

The shape I'm working with includes an administrative boundary with the coastline and the water body included in its territory (the whole square). The star is an island that is within the same territory but still needing to be represented on the map. 

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Perhaps I am still not understanding your goal. Can you do the union to maintain the boundaries of the 3 features, and add an identifying attribute like “Feature set 1” for the territory, and add another attribute “Type” and identify water or land. Then set symbology based on the “unique values, many fields” of these attributes? I am assuming you will have multiple territories, but this would allow you to differentiate between land and water, and between territories.

If I am still not helping you, perhaps you should re-post with your full explanation, as a question with this many responses is typically assumed answered.

Best of Luck, Manuel.

Jim

Jim Cousins

GIS Project Scientist

S.S. Papadopulos & Associates, Inc.<http://www.sspa.com/>

7944 Wisconsin Avenue | Bethesda, Maryland 20814

Direct: (301) 500-2271 | Office: (301) 718-8900

jcousins@sspa.com<mailto:jcousins@sspa.com>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any attachments are intended only for the addressee(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, privileged, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure or use by a third party. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and its attachments, and destroy any electronic or hard copies that you may have created.

0 Kudos