Is "Masking" supported by .aix format?

09-14-2023 04:32 AM
YvanVanderVennet
New Contributor II

Hello,

I exported a Layout from ArcGIS Pro to .aix.

In Pro I used Masking to mask contour lines under texts, using a masking layer and it works perfectly.

But in the .aix opened in Adobe Illustrator, the masking is not present.

Is anyone can tell me if Masking is supported by .aix format ?

If yes, is it something particular to do before exporting to make the masking transferable in .aix ?

If not, is it planned to support it in the future ?

Thank you!

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1.

ArcGIS Maps for ACC 3.5

Adobe Illustrator 27.9

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

Thanks for the question! I'm not sure how you created your masks, but if you could share a partial version of your map (ppkx) that would be a good way for Maps for Adobe to pinpoint your workflow and investigate if/how the team could support this. Until then, I would suggest adding the masks in Adobe Illustrator. This will be the better option. This is my go-to workflow for masking things like roads, contours, and other harsh lines that obscure text. If you could share your ppkx, or point to your workflow, that would be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
YvanVanderVennet
New Contributor II

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your message! I created masks like shown on the image here under. So the MaskAltiLabels polygon layer masks the AltiContourLines line layer.

YvanVanderVennet_1-1694769629227.png

And in .aix the contour line is not masked:

YvanVanderVennet_2-1694769728696.png

I send you a link to the .ppkx by direct message.

Thanks you!

Yvan

0 Kudos
YvanVanderVennet
New Contributor II

Hi Sarah,

Attached is my map .ppkx in a lighter version, easier to handle.

If you need other information on the way I mask the contour lines do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Yvan

YvanVanderVennet_0-1695737900406.png

SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Thanks for sharing your PPKX. It's been useful for identifying the crux of the issue. When exporting it as a PDF, it looks like the masks are a compound path. This compound path is dropped in the AIX. The team will look into retaining these types of masks in AIX exports. In the interim, please check the link I shared in my original response for the workflow to do this same effect in Illustrator as the team looks for a solution. 

0 Kudos
YvanVanderVennet
New Contributor II

All right, thank you!

0 Kudos