Processes panel symbolization + Vector tile style basemap, does it work?

Jump to solution
12-13-2023 06:15 AM
SBushey_Dewberry
New Contributor II

I had been following the directions from the tutorial in the Mapping by Design book to use the Processes panel to replace symbols on point layers with custom symbols in an Illustrator Symbol library. I saw that, specifically, the book states:

"For Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud to identify the correct symbol to apply to your map’s artwork, the Illustrator layer name must match the name of the symbol. You will rename the Sentrum.ai layers so that they are identical, in spelling and case, to the names of the symbols in the Oslo_Symbols library."

Is it at all possible to use this same method to swap PNG images from a custom basemap from the Vector Tile Style Editor to vector symbols in an Illustrator Symbol library? I had tested using the Processes panel on a custom basemap built off of World Street Map, so the layer for something like "Road/label/Secondary Hwy white black" is a nested layer under the main Sync layer for the basemap. I renamed my symbol to that exact name "Road/label/Secondary Hwy white black," tried running the process, and it did not work. I pulled out the nested layer to its own layer above the nested layers in the main Sync layer, and it did not work. I renamed the layer to "TEST" and renamed the symbol in the Symbol Library to "TEST" and ran the process, and it also did not work.

I know I can manually swap the PNG images with Illustrator Symbols after syncing when getting in to stylizing, but is there a way to automate this? I know I could also change the JSON in the basemap to point to an SVG directory for each symbol in each layer rather than a hosted PNG, but it would be much simpler if Esri provided SVG hosting on their service instead of making a Frankenstein basemap. Either that, or if there is a way to do it with an offline Symbol Library using a process in the extension, am I missing something in the steps above? Is there a way to do this with using a basemap?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi @SBushey_Dewberry . Thanks for this question. At this time Maps for Adobe processes cannot do a symbol replacement for raster point symbols, but this is something that they are looking into for future releases. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi @SBushey_Dewberry . Thanks for this question. At this time Maps for Adobe processes cannot do a symbol replacement for raster point symbols, but this is something that they are looking into for future releases. 

SBushey_Dewberry
New Contributor II

Thank you @SarahBell  So excited for this! I'll be watching the release notes blog. 👍

0 Kudos