Maps SDK 1.3 - Different version of Unreal Engine

Jump to solution
08-16-2023 05:40 PM
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

After creating new Unreal Engine 5.2.1 project and enabling Maps SDK 1.3 the below message is displayed

UnrealEditor_kEwbxnQ1d8.png

If I try building solution via Build, Build, <Project name> the  build process fails with message below.

devenv_i2iS6yQZSx.png

What is the process to get my project off the ground? Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

Please allow me to correct wording. The Maps SDK supports Unreal Versions 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2, however to use it you must install the plugin to the project in versions 5.1 and 5.2. We do not support engine installation for versions other than Unreal 5.0. If you wish to install the plugin to the engine and have it accessible across all your projects, you will need to use Unreal 5.0. If you would like top utilize the newer features in Unreal 5.1 or 5.2, you will need to install the plugin per project. 
I hope that clears things up for you.
Mason

View solution in original post

16 Replies
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

Hi there,
We need a little more information in order to help troubleshoot.
Can you confirm whether you created the project as a 'Blueprints' or 'C++' project? Additionally, you can right click on the .uproject and hit 'Generate Visual Studio Project Files'. If this does not finish/gives an error when completing, please show what the error is. 

If it completes and finishes, please open up the .sln file that was created from generating the visual studio project files. Once open, you can go to Build > Build Solution or press  'ctrl + shift + b' to build the solution. This should build and once finished you should be able to open the project. If the build fails, please send a screenshot with the errors.

Thank you,

Mason

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Hi MasonGaw,

Yes, it is a C++ project (I already made the Blueprint error earlier :)). In project directory there is a .sln file.

The build using  'ctrl + shift + b' still fails with the same message  as below

Severity Code Description Project File Line Source Suppression State
Error MSB3073 The command ""D:\Program Files\Epic games\UE_5.2\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" sample_projectEditor Win64 Development -Project="E:\UnrealEngine52\mapssdk\sample_project\sample_project.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6. sample_project C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 44 Build

I am running Visual Studio 17.4.2 Community 2022 64bit.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

Hi Zorko,
Thanks for the confirmation and sorry those solutions didn't work. Please refer to this link from Epic Games how to setup and Visual Studio to make sure it works with Unreal. There are a couple packages that need to be added to your visual studio installation in order for it to work with Unreal. You should not need to do a fresh installation of Visual Studio, and should be able to just open the Visual Studio Installer and select "Modify", this will then bring you to the necessary screen to add or remove packages. 

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.1/en-US/setting-up-visual-studio-development-environment-for-cpluspl...

Please let me know if this helps.

Mason

0 Kudos
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

Can we also please get a complete copy of the console output in order to better understand the issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Details in reply to previous message.

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Mason,

I have checked the VS installation as per documentation (using 5.2 page) and here are my settings

VS WorkloadsVS WorkloadsC++ game devC++ game dev

I have also applied optional settings as per the page. Unfortunately, that didn't help. Here is the copy of the output console.

Build
====

Build started...
1>------ Build started: Project: MapsSDK_1_3, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2>------ Skipped Build: Project: UE5, Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win64 ------
2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
1>Using bundled DotNet SDK version: 6.0.302
1>Running UnrealBuildTool: dotnet "..\..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll" MapsSDK_1_3Editor Win64 Development -Project="E:\UnrealEngine52\MapsSDK_1_3\MapsSDK_1_3.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild
1>Log file: C:\Users\zds\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
1>Creating makefile for MapsSDK_1_3Editor (no existing makefile)
1>Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'ArcGISMapsSDK' in UE5Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3073: The command ""D:\Program Files\Epic games\UE_5.2\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" MapsSDK_1_3Editor Win64 Development -Project="E:\UnrealEngine52\MapsSDK_1_3\MapsSDK_1_3.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6.
1>Done building project "MapsSDK_1_3.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========
========== Elapsed 00:08.780 ==========

Error List (with all columns)
======

Severity Code Description Project Project Rank Path File Line Column Category Source Suppression State Tool
Error MSB3073 The command ""D:\Program Files\Epic games\UE_5.2\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" MapsSDK_1_3Editor Win64 Development -Project="E:\UnrealEngine52\MapsSDK_1_3\MapsSDK_1_3.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6. MapsSDK_1_3 1 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 44 5 Build Exec

Thank you

0 Kudos
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

By chance, do you know if you are using a Clang compiler or an msvc Compiler?

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

What is the best/easiest way to check that? 

0 Kudos
MasonGaw
New Contributor III

I am unsure, once I hear back how to check I will forward that to you. In the meantime, can you explain to me how you installed the plugin? And we're you able to open the Unreal Project prior to installing the plugin, so just opening a blank Unreal Project?

0 Kudos