View NOAA ENC by release date

07-23-2023 11:21 AM
KristiFazioli
New Contributor

Hello, I am  using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0 to view NOAA ENC's through the Maritime Chart Service.

I need to try to look back and see what an ENC looked like on a particular date.  Since they are always updating and you see the most up to date version through the chart service, I am wondering if there is a way to query and see only ENC data that was added before a date... or even just before a particular year.  So that way I am looking at a layer that goes with the same year as my data.  (for instance, if my data is from July 2021, I don't want to see any updates that have been made to the ENC layers after that date, I need the chart the way it looked in July of 2021, not now). Basically I want a time slider for the ENC charts!  I also tried doing this on the new NOAA custom charts website, but I don't see where it will let you build a chart based on a previous date.

I found that maybe if I am using the maritime extension I can do this with the "date dependency" on the Maritime Chart Service display properties pane, but I wanted to verify that.  If so, as far as I can tell, I will need to purchase an additional license in order to access this.... is that correct?  As of now I can access Maritime tools in the toolbox, but I don't see the MCS display properties pane when I highlight the MCS layer.

I am still a beginner-intermediate user and appreciate any assistance I can get in figuring this out.  

Thank you!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KristiFazioli - the answer is to use the Enterprise Geodatabase Archiving feature.

What is archiving?—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
Archiving provides the functionality to record and access changes made to all or a subset of data in a geodatabase. Archiving is the mechanism for capturing, managing, and analyzing data change over time.

Historical moments—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this clarifies your question.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
KristiFazioli
New Contributor

Thanks, while this sounds great, and would be something I could implement if I were creating the data, I do not see where I can access the archives for NOAA ENC data.  Do you know if that is possible?  If so, how?  Thanks for taking the time to answer.

0 Kudos
CraigTGreene
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kristi,

You cannot import just the ENC updates into a geodatabase, it has to be the base cell with the updates. So, using archiving will not provide you with the solution you are looking for. If you want a cell from a specific date, you would need to add that cell using the ENC Layer functionality. 

Use the Add Data button to browse to a .000 ENC file and add it to the Contents pane. At the ArcGIS Pro 3.2 release, scheduled for late October, you will also be able to add Updates (ERs, .001, .002, etc). So, you could add the ERs up to the revision date that you are interested in.

CraigTGreene
Occasional Contributor

You can download historical NOAA ENC/updates from here