ArcGIS Monitor- List of ID/Codes for Components/Notifications?

07-05-2023 08:58 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Monitor Team, 

Is there a way to find a list of all these IDs/codes so we know what server/component is alerting?

Amanda__Huber_0-1688572662299.png

Thanks, 

Amanda Huber

6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Amanda__Huber,

Is there a way to find a list of all these IDs/codes so we know what server/component is alerting?

The Alert ID codes that you're referencing in your screenshot don't correspond to a specific error. The IDs are unique to your ArcGIS Monitor instance and are simply unique ID values. They're used as primary keys by Monitor. FYI, you can learn more about the ArcGIS Monitor information model in this help topic

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @DerekLaw

Thanks for your reply we appreciate it. That's unfortunate to hear. We were hoping to have found a workaround for the limited information in the emails/webhooks. 

Is there any way that you know of to pull more information/add more info to the email notifications? 

Thanks so much, 

Amanda

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi @Amanda__Huber,

Is there any way that you know of to pull more information/add more info to the email notifications? 

Unfortunately, we don't have other options at this time. Sorry.

Please share your use case/requirements with me. You're welcome to post in this thread or email me directly. I will add this info into our dev backlog and we work to enhance customizing email notifications in a future release. 

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @DerekLaw

Thanks for confirming. I would be happy to share our use case. 

In the new monitor version 2023.1, notification emails (and webhook payload) contain less information and less valuable information than the previous version of Monitor version 10.9.1

Notifications are crucial for alerting admins when there is a disruption in server behavior, and we rely on these heavily. When receiving notifications at the bare minimum we need to have the equivalency of information that was available at 10.9.1:

• Level of alert (warning, sever, etc)
  • Server Name (title from the component)
  • Name of the Error (aka Counter)
  • And optionally the value compared to the threshold set
    Old Monitor Notifications for reference: 
    Amanda__Huber_0-1688741505001.png

Obviously the more detailed "at a glance" information in these alerts the better. Other information that we would find very valuable but has not been offered by the monitor team: 

• Server Logs describing errors

It's unfortunate but we feel as though the notification/alerting component to the new Monitor is a downgrade and severely lacking equivalency. It sounds like others in the community may also be just as disappointed.

I hope this helps your team understand our use case and needs a little more. Also we will be at the Esri UC next week, so if you would like to talk more about this we would love to have a more enriched discussion. 

Thanks so much as always!

- Amanda Huber

DerekLaw

Hi @Amanda__Huber

Thanks for sharing more details about your requirements. I will add this info into the dev backlog. And I'm sorry that Monitor 2023 is not functionally equivalent to the earlier Monitor release. We realize this and are actively working on addressing this. It's just a matter of balancing feature enhancements with dev resources.

Also we will be at the Esri UC next week, so if you would like to talk more about this we would love to have a more enriched discussion. 

Yes, absolutely. Please come by the ArcGIS Monitor kiosk, in the ArcGIS Enterprise area, in the UC Expo. Safe travels coming down and see you next week!

0 Kudos
LHo
by
New Contributor III

I'd like to see this feature as well. The email and webhook notifications aren't helpful as they are. One workaround would be to build several custom notifications that filter only on a specific component or metric and name them accordingly, which would get passed to the email or webhook. This would get us the component level alert, but not metric. We could build out more notifications that filter on specific metrics and name it accordingly as well. We'll end up having almost one Notification setup for each metric though..