9.3 included Streets Network Dataset not working

10-14-2010 09:16 AM
NicoleScholtz
New Contributor II
I am trying to use the streets network dataset included with the 9.3 data disks.

I have one copy sitting on a server that works beautifully, and I can load it into a map and run closest facility analysis with no problem.

When I try to move the network dataset to a local disk, and then add the new copy to my map, it does not work. I have tried copying it within ArcCatalog. I've copied it from Windows Explorer with all hidden files turned on so I am sure I'm getting everything called streets.* , including the SDC vector layer (which I'm not sure is necessary). I've tried downloading and unpacking a fresh copy from a zip file of the DVD on which it came that I have stored. I've moved the network dataset to a location on the local drive with no spaces in the name.

When I try to add the network dataset to ArcMap I get a box that says "Open Failed" and "Error opening network dataset".

Any ideas on how to make this work? When this file has worked, it has been great -- it includes multiple costs that I certainly can't produce as quickly and easily if I rebuild the network dataset from scratch from the streets.sdc layer.

Thanks in advance.
Nicole
Spatial and Numeric Data Librarian
University of Michigan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
In StreetMap, the network dataset is contained in the streets.rsx folder. Have you copied that as part of copying the rest of the files?
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
NicoleScholtz
New Contributor II
Hi Jay,

Yes, I've copied both the streets.rsx and the streets.idx folders. The files I copy also are streets.idi, .rs, .sdc .sdc.prj, .sdc.xml, and .sdi .

Thanks.
0 Kudos
NicoleScholtz
New Contributor II
That did it! Thank you, Alan.

Nicole
0 Kudos