Help with implementing routes between X,Y and X,Y points and calculating the distance in m or km.

02-19-2024 04:38 AM
albma
by
New Contributor II

Hello! I want help implementing routes between hundreds of points X,Y.

I have start nodes (X,Y) and end nodes (X,Y) in the same Excel sheet defined. I also have access to a dataset of roads that have speed limits.

What I now want to do is to automatically draw the shortest distance according to the road layer (with speed limit)  between these hundreds of points. How do I do this automatically from start to finish?

I need all types of help, all from implementing the table x,y coordinates and implementing them in the ArcMap. Also how these routes can be calculated automatically. Hope you understand my problem.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
albma
by
New Contributor II

Note: As i'm not the best at ArcMap, please use pictures if possible when describing solutions.. 

0 Kudos
albma
by
New Contributor II

Update: Still waiting for help, anyone got some information how i tackle this problem? 😕

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is a quick overview of what you need to do:

If you want to use the roads that you have to compute the shortest paths, then first you will need to create a network dataset on them.

Next you will need to convert the excel X,Y into point feature class using the GP tool AddXY.

Next you need to create a route analysis layer and load your points as stops and solve.

All of these high level steps need more familiarity with the Network extension. You will need to use the tutorials to get started on this. You can access the tutorials here: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/network-analyst/about-the-network-analyst-tut...

OR, if you have an ArcGIS online account, you can use the map viewer and upload you XY data and use the Calculate Travel Cost tool. For this it will use credits and use the Streetmap Premium network data to compute the distances/paths. More info: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/calculate-travel-cost-mv.htm

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
albma
by
New Contributor II

Where do i find the tools? Please, send screenshots if possible. 

0 Kudos
albma
by
New Contributor II

Hello Jay! Where do find the Travel Cost Tool? Can't find it? 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You have to create or have an account for arcgis.com and sign in and click on the map viewer. Then on the right bottom you can click the star icon to access the tools. See screen shot:

JaySandhu_0-1708622199456.png

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos