How to include gates in a road network

Jump to solution
01-08-2024 07:26 AM
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm new to the networking stuff, did a tutorial once but no real experience.

I have a layer of polylines for roads and a point layer containing several types of gates, bridges and other 'obstructions' in those roads.

I would like to create a network in which those obstructions are accounted for when I search for the best route from A to B. For example a bridge may be to weak for a truck, a gate may be to narrow for a car but not for hikers, a cattle grid is not passable for livestock but is for all other traffic.

How can I include the obstructions in the network? Is there documentation you can point me to?

Thanks for your time!

Bert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Barriers is not the correct way to model this, since those are meant to model temporary obstructions.  It sounds like what you want is to create restriction attributes modeling bridge weight limits, cattle grids, etc. and then some travel modes modeling different vehicle types that can and can't use those features.

If you haven't done this one already, this is the most relevant tutorial for you to do: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/how-to-create-a-usable-network-datas...

Relevant conceptual documentation:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sounds like you are interested in barriers and travel modes

Barriers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Travel modes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Barriers is not the correct way to model this, since those are meant to model temporary obstructions.  It sounds like what you want is to create restriction attributes modeling bridge weight limits, cattle grids, etc. and then some travel modes modeling different vehicle types that can and can't use those features.

If you haven't done this one already, this is the most relevant tutorial for you to do: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/how-to-create-a-usable-network-datas...

Relevant conceptual documentation:

0 Kudos
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks both Melinda and Dan. I think Melinda is right but the links Dan posted are very usefull as wel as we do have temporary restrictions as wel.

0 Kudos