The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically.

08-26-2021 02:22 AM
MaxBöcke
New Contributor III

Hi guys!

In executing an ArcGIS Notebook Runtime Advanced we always getting the error message: "The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically." when we want to "from arcgis.gis import GIS".

It is confusing because when we try it with an Standard Runtime, it works properly. But in our case we need both python packages. arcgis and arcpy. The "import arcpy" command works properly in the Advanced Image.

Here are the details:

System: ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 with ArcGIS Notebook Server 10.9 on a RedHat 7 VM

What we have done in reverse engineering:

1. We connected to the container directly and execute the command (from arcgis.gis import GIS)

It's working. So we conclude from this there is no problem with container or the virtual machine. 

2. We analyzed the log files of the WebSocket Connection, the container logs. There is only logged "The kernel has restarted". We find no entry - why the kernel has restarted...

3. We contacted Esri Support. Unfortunately they can't reproduce it.

And the most confusing matter is that all import commands are fine with Advanced and Standard Image 4.0 It occurs with Advanced Image 5.0. From here we need python 3.7.9 package for our use case.

Perhaps I'll find some further help here. Thank's for reading my issue.

Best regards

Max (max.boecke@hereon.de)

30 Replies
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

Ok with the help of this thread I have figured out that running the below statement, in a notebook that you run into the kernel stoppage error, will solve the issue!

pip uninstall tensorflow-gpu -y

By uninstalling tensorflow you have removed the requirement for avx.

This only effects the kernel you are in and does not touch the Docker install.