Esri Webmap

10-04-2016 05:53 AM
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

I have added Esri map to my webmap and, of course, can view the webmap content with my password.  Is it possible to allow the public to view my webmap without password while maintaining the added Esri map?  On the other hand, could it also be possible for the public to view my webmap without seeing the Esri added map? I mean, the Esri map not visible to the public.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Baffour,

To share your web map with the public just click the share button and choose Everyone (public) as show in the image.

If you do not want the esri basemap shown in your web map then just create a new web map and when you add your mapservice choose "Use as Basemap".

0 Kudos
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Yes, I know this process but so far as I know, adding Esri map calls for you or your organization's account (AGOL) password. The public can't see your map even if you share it with them.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Baffour,

You need to read up on sharing items in AGOL then:

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

If your organization has disabled anonymous access, only members can access the organization's website. However, you can still share the organization's public items by sharing the item through the public URL (https://www.arcgis.com), instead of your organization's URL (for example,https://yourorg.maps.arcgis.com). Here are some of the ways you can share public items through the public URL:

0 Kudos
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

Robert, the problem is not with the organization's items. It is purely with Esri. Do they allow their own layers to be added to an organizational webmap of which the public has access? Do they have a way to work around that without asking for a password from the public?  Have you experience that before? May be if you have time, just try to add  for example, 'Terrain: Aspect Map' from Esri living Atlas and see if you can open your webmap without a password.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Baffour,

Do they allow their own layers to be added to an organizational webmap of which the public has access?

yes, for most map services.

Do they have a way to work around that without asking for a password from the public?

They should not be asking for log in unless the data is not properly shared with the public.

Have you experience that before?

No, unless you are using your orgs url and not the public www.arcgis.com url as explained in the link provided earlier or the map service is not public.

0 Kudos