Ability to Add New Values to a List or Add Field when Layer has a Hosted View

04-06-2023 03:19 PM
NorthSouthGIS
Occasional Contributor II

When a layer has a hosted view, you cannot add new values to a list. You can't edit the schema of the original layer at all (which is understandable), but I need to be able to add new values.

For example, I have a layer that stores all of the trees I manage. However, some trees are for a specific city while others are for another. I would like to be able to share a city's trees back with them through a hosted view. Then when I get a new client, I can add their name in the City field list and create a new hosted view. 

Same for adding new fields - I would like to add a new field specific for that city. This way I can have a field crew managing trees around multiple cities but also share back to the city a dashboard showing progress. This is very important for my business workflow.

Ultimately, I would like the ability to Add only to the schema when there is a hosted view. 

6 Comments
EmilyGeo

Hi @NorthSouthGIS

Thanks for your idea. You are correct, its not possible to add a field or change the values in a list at the View level. That's because the View inherits these properties from the Hosted feature layer.

But there is a workaround. If you are the owner or an administrator of the Hosted feature layer that the View is built on, you can add new fields to the original Hosted feature layer, as well as change the values in lists.

Those changes will carry through to the Views created from that original Hosted feature layer. You'll need to use the 'Update View' dialogue in the Settings tab to configure the View to show the new fields / lists. That should enable you to add City names to the field list and create new views for your workflows. 

NorthSouthGIS

@EmilyGeo I don't have this option even though I am the owner and an administrator. When there is a view, I cannot add to the hosted feature layer fields that the view inherits from. 

NorthSouthGIS

@EmilyGeo I ended up reaching out to Esri Tech Support about the issue since you mentioned it should be possible. Turns out there was a problem with my dataset preventing me from seeing those options. My data contained a very long coded value domain (over 100,000 choices representing street names in a city). This was slowing things down and causing multiple issues. I removed the domain and this solved the problem. 

EmilyGeo

Hi @NorthSouthGISI'm glad to hear its resolved! 

NorthSouthGIS

@EmilyGeo actually I was wrong, it wasn't the domain. It was the fact that I created a live join view. Here is the associated bug for all who run into this issue: 

• BUG-000119730: In ArcGIS Online, after running the Join Features tool on a layer and a table within the same hosted feature layer, the Add Field option for the hosted feature layer disappears.
EmilyGeo

Thanks for the update!