Add Records to ArcGIS Online Hosted Table

11-29-2018 04:08 PM
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor II

This idea might already be posted but I'll put it out there just in case it hasn't.  This week, we were trying to edit a standalone table that is hosted in ArcGIS Online.  We wanted to manually add a few records to a table but we couldn't do it from the Map interface or from the Data tab in the Item Details window.  Editing was enabled on the table.  The help document about editing tables in ArcGIS Online made no mention of manually adding records to a hosted standalone table.  My idea then is:

Allow a user, with the proper permissions, the ability to manually add records to a hosted standalone table in ArcGIS Online (this assume the table has editing enabled).

Thank you. 

30 Comments
VirginiaMVanderVeen

I found a way to do this. It's not ideal, but you can use a combination of the Table Widget and the Edit Widget in Experience Builder. In my case, I have a hosted table of employee names that I'm using with the search function in Survey 123 to pull the names dynamically in to a choice list. I wanted an easy way to have the table in a web app that would allow the operations manager to remove, edit, and add names. I tried using the Search and Filter Widgets with the Edit widget, but they didn't work. I just added my hosted table data source to the Table widget and removed editing (because I want editing to occur in the edit widget). If no record in the table is selected, you will see a + next to Edit, where you can add a record. If you select a row from the table, you will see the details of that record in the Edit Widget, and you can modify the record or delete it. I am likely going to have a button in my Experience builder app that says "Add or Remove Employee." When that button is clicked it will open a window with the Edit and table widget inside. Again...not perfect, but it's working so far.

JohannaKraus2

I'm just joining the conversation but I'd like to echo everyone who saying that adding a row to a hosted table through agol would be really helpful.  Does anyone know if this idea has been posted for other's to vote on?

RandalGreene

@JohannaKraus2, if you login to "ideas," you should see a kudo or thumbs up button just below the original post.

JoelMcKechnie

Until recently I haven't had the need to edit tables in ArcGIS Online, and was surprised/disappointed to find the functionality of adding rows missing. It doesn't seem like this idea has made a roadmap. Are there any updates/workarounds?

I'm setting up a web map where users can add surveillance records (table) that are related to target assets (point layer). Both the table and layer belong to a hosted feature service. This works well within Field Maps... surely there is a way for a desktop user to add a new record (table row) via ArcGIS Online?! 🤞

NorthSouthGIS

This is incredibly important. In both Enterprise and Online, I want to be able to add a record to a table without the use of a desktop application, without having to import or overwrite data from outside the portal, and without having to set up and configure an App. I shouldn't even have to write a use case scenario for this because there are so many that come to mind. Here is one example:

In a dashboard, I am calculating percent budget used. The overall fiscal budget and contract information for clients is stored in a table called Clients. This is TABULAR only, not spatial. I want to be able to add a record to this table when I get new clients. This is one step towards using GIS as an asset management solution. 

RobertMEIER

I was able to add records to my stand alone table using the REST interface.

[
{
"attributes": {
"col_name": "col_value",
"col_name1": "col_value1",
"col_name2": "col_value2",
"col_name3": num_value,
}
}
]

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/enterprise/add-features.htm

mikAMD
by

@RobertMEIER yes this is a possibility, but for non automated workflows/if you just want to add a couple of rows, going through the API sometimes is overkill.

I think the idea here is to allow adding rows through the AGOL interface.

MatthewStull1

As the person who posted this idea, I will confirm that this idea is for people who are non-technical or non-GIS savvy people.  Also, just to clarify, this is for doing updates in the AGOL interface, not any other way.  Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!

BrandonCranfield

+1,000 on this functionality being added. There are several use cases for my Enterprise users to have the ability to create applications for the sole purpose of adding/modifying records within a hosted feature table. ESRI.... please pay attention to this thread and take for action! We would all greatly appreciate it!

tiztrain

As long as you have a table that is NOT related to anything, you can do this in Experience builder using the 'Edit' attribute functionality as per the discussion below. Not ideal but it is something.

Option to "Add new row" or record when editing a t... - Page 2 - Esri Community