Allow users with custom roles to be Collaboration Coordinators in ArcGIS Online Collaborations

04-03-2024 03:50 PM
Deborah_Roth
New Contributor II

Currently, any user with a custom role cannot be designated as a collaboration coordinator. The only roles that are permitted to be collaboration coordinators are the default Facilitator and Administrator roles.

In our company, if we have entered into a collaboration with another organization, we want to allow our GIS analysts (those closest to the data and the project teams) to be able to own and manage collaboration group participants and content. The only option to do this currently, is to assign them a Facilitator or Administrator role.

If we were to assign our GIS analysts to the default Facilitator role, they would not have enough privileges to perform all tasking required as a GIS analyst (e.g. Facilitator cannot create notebooks). On the other hand, if we were to assign them the default Administrator role, they would have too many privileges that could impact the security of our organization (e.g. Administrators can manage the organizations security and infrastructure settings).

This means, a custom role is required to allow a GIS analyst work as a GIS analyst as well as manage access to project content as part of a collaboration.

2 Comments
ScottBall

Hi Deborah - this is good feedback and I will bring it to the team for further discussion. Your requirements make sense. From the ArcGIS side of things, I believe there are certain privileges a collaboration coordinator requires and the most efficient way to verify that a user in that role has the correct privileges is to require one of the known roles that has the correct privileges. I'll bring it up to the team to see if there is anything we can do to make this situation better.

Deborah_Roth

@ScottBall, thank you!