Download other versions of ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online besides the latest release

10-13-2022 04:19 PM
AmyWork3
New Contributor III

Our professors and instructors at our university are staying with ArcGIS Pro 2.9 this academic year rather than upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0. Previously we were able to leverage the ArcGIS Online option to download software  from the username/profile pic > My Settings > Licenses area (see attachment). However, using this option now only provides the latest ArcGIS Pro release 3.0. 

Please offer the option to download other versions of ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online other than just the latest release. 

This will make it easier for us as a campus to not have to download and store various versions of ArcGIS Pro on other platforms (Google, OneDrive, Box, etc.)

Our professors/instructors do not always want to teach on the latest software release due to a number of reasons:  updated instructional resources or more recently the hardware requirements that are drastically different from Pro 2.9 (many student laptops do not meet those requirements).

13 Comments
AmyWork3

Thanks @KoryKramer . Here are some additional thoughts to good questions. 

1. The software is installed on both campus controlled lab machines and personal laptops. For the campus based machines, we do NOT currently block notifications. Sometimes it is useful to know that there is an update, regardless if you can update or not. Most instructors can clarify with their students what version they should be using for class. Of course there will always be those who don't listen and still upgrade, but that's on them. 

2. I agree with @PatIampietro and @Willen that the idea would be able to allow users to select what supported version they want to download. Again, more on making other versions available rather than just the latest and one version back. While we as a campus encourage users to be on a particular version, we still have some researchers who are on a particular version due to certain tools and others. For example we are in a trial with ArcGIS Indoors, and the ELT tool would not work with the latest versions of ArcGIS Pro. It would only work with ArcGIS Pro 2.7 (Esri is aware of the incompatibility with the ETL tools and Pro). So we had to go in and find that version and make it available to students. It would have been great to just tell the students to go and download that version from AGO. 

3. I don't think I would need to cap the number of versions of ArcGIS Pro per student. We have students who are enrolled in classes and then many other students and researchers who are using the software outside of the class. I would like to enable the SSO we have setup for our AGO to say, if you are affiliate with our AGO and you would like to download the software go here. Currently I'm still having to be very involved in providing access to earlier versions of software in addition to providing technical support on the use of the software. I would just want the option to make the software available and enable the user to select what version to download based on their research needs or class instructions. It would be up to the campuses or Orgs to specify to their users what version their campus is using. 

With this last line stated about providing guidance to their users/members on what version they should download, it seems like it would be extra work to build in a function that would add say an * next to the "this Org recommends this version".

Again, I would look at going with a simple implementation of just making other supported versions of ArcGIS Pro available for download from the AGO interface. 

KoryKramer

Great additional details. Thank you @AmyWork3 

KeithAddison1

I know I speak for many cautious folks when I say I'd like the ability to hang back a few versions instead of having to do the latest with every update