Label Polygons Beyond the Centroid in New Map Viewer

05-23-2022 06:57 AM
MariaGiarrusso
New Contributor III

In Map Viewer Classic, polygon labels will redraw in the best location as you pan and zoom around the map.  However, in the new Map Viewer, polygon labels only draw at the polygon centroid.  If you pan away from the centroid, the label is out of view and not visible.

It is critical for many applications to be able to see the map label for all visible features in the map extent.  It is requested that ESRI , at a minimum, provide the same polygon labelling functionality that existed in Map Viewer Classic.   Thanks!

28 Comments
MikeSchonlau

Where is the other "thread with updates posted"? This issue is causing our users to freak out

RussRoberts

@MikeSchonlau The centroid placement went out with the Nov 2023 release of ArcGIS Online and will now have a similar result to map viewer classic placement.  If you have a case where you are not seeing this I would recommend send over the example. 

MikeSchonlau

@RussRoberts I'm still only seeing centroid label placement in both of my AGO orgs using the new Map Viewer. Would you suggest I contact  Tech Support? Here is an example using a test layer I just published to AGO:

Labels enabled:

MikeSchonlau_0-1701099968705.png

Then, after panning the map - no labels:

MikeSchonlau_1-1701100011813.png

RussRoberts

@MikeSchonlau currently the label is placed at the polygon centroid and is not updated to a centroid to where the remaining polygon geometry is displayed after a pan/zoom.  This is currently the only option for label placement for polygons at this time. 

MikeSchonlau

@RussRoberts Thank you for clarifying. I suspect that most ESRI customers will be frustrated by this new behavior. Do you know if there are any alternative recommendations for users wanting more dynamic label placement? We already have internal customers asking to revert our data back to older ArcGIS Server map services

RussRoberts

The behavior before in Map Viewer was not dynamic labeling placement and Map Viewer Classic did not have this as well. Making a dynamic label placement would be an enhancement for the feature layer labeling. Map Image layer labeling is handled differently.

MikeSchonlau

Feature service and map image service labels display dynamically for me in AGO's Map Viewer Classic, but not in AGO's new Map Viewer - try this test map. I guess we will just use the classic viewer for the instances where this labeling is an issue.

IngridHogle

Any updates on this issue?