Lock editing option on ArcGIS Online items

04-19-2023 07:58 AM
JohnFannon
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to suggest a "Lock Editing" option similar to the "Delete prevention" option on ArcGIS Online items. This is to prevent accidental modification of the item (e.g. web map, web app) by others in the organisation that have the correct permissions.

For example, we have several web apps and associated web maps that are used as live applications by others in the organisation. However, it is relatively easy for someone with the correct permissions to open the item (especially web maps in Map Viewer) and accidentally edit and then save. This change then affects the live application(s).

Having a "Lock Editing" option on the item, would prevent a user (even with the correct permissions) from editing the item and saving, without first disabling the "Lock Editing" option. This would work in a similar way to "Delete Prevention", forcing the user to make a concious decision to edit the item.

For example:

JohnFannon_1-1681916196155.png

Note that this is separate from turning on/off editing of feature layers. This is to prevent editing of the ArcGIS Online item itself and is probably most applicable to web maps and apps, but could equally be applied to item details/metadata of feature layers and/or editing of feature layer views etc.

7 Comments
Clubdebambos

Hi @JohnFannon 

You can remove the Edit capability from the Feature Service and then re-enable when you want to be able to edit. Is there something you are trying to achieve that is different to this function?

Clubdebambos_0-1681918060831.png

Clubdebambos

Oh I think I get what you mean. Rather than editing data its the to do with the WebMap/App itself? If you have set the extent to a certain extent and then a user alters and saves, or changes symbology and saves. Good idea!

JohnFannon

@Clubdebambos- I'm aware of the capability to turn on/off editing for feature layers, but this is different from feature layer editing. This is locking of editing of the item itself and is probably more applicable to non-feature layer items (e.g. web map/web app items) but could be extended to prevent editing of item details/metadata for all items, including feature layers and perhaps things like modification of feature layer views.

GIS_Fox

Cool idea! Would be a good tool for items that don't fall under groups or that are good as-is and need to be retained in their current state. I like it, a handy option for org-admins and data QC-QA for review of content. Cheers!

Clubdebambos

@JohnFannon its a great idea. At the moment I run admin scripts to counteract what I can. So each night Ill re-inject the symbology, zoom/extent, and filters back into the WebMap JSON to keep them standardised. This idea would remove the need for this. 

KatiePiper

I completely agree with this. There are many members of my organization that view applications (web map, apps, dashboards) and don't realize that when they make changes to a web map that they have access to that it can potentially alter the maps for field maps (which we only use offline since we are in a rural area and can then trigger this offline feature off by adding a layer not set for offline use). These members also need editing capabilities for specific layers so I can't change their user privileges.

How is this not already an option?

BrettHe

Agree. I keep moving a polygon 15 miles up accidentally!