Set Expiry Date for User Account

06-09-2016 07:12 AM
YvesLeger
Occasional Contributor

We have contractors to whom we want to provide an AGOL account with access to our organization's content for a specific period of time.  We now have to manually delete their account after their contract is done.  It would be nice to be able to set an expiry date on their account (not just on the password).

18 Comments
JackyHovens

I like the idea of being able to set a deletion date, often I will be told someone is leaving an organisation and I have to make a note and then delete once they have left. It would be great if I could delete and then enter the date to be deleted.  We only have viewer users at the moment, but also like the idea of having an email reminder before the deletion for any users that have content.

MelissaNorthey

We just set up Enterprise logins, however I'm looking for this to handle temporary, contract workers that we would not set up in our Enterprise system.  For example, we have volunteers help us with our Homeless Point-in-time count. If I could give them access for just the month they are needed, it would help.

DavidSeldner

This would also help us since students get an account for one year and then we have to go through the process of deleting the entries again.

GJW
by

We also get many seasonal users, and it would be very useful to set the expiration date during account creation so that their accounts automatically disable and/or delete on that date.

ChristianComeau1

As per the previous comments, this is of great interest to my organisation. 

PaulinaGajownik1

There is no option to set the account validity period.
Universities would like to create an account for a semester or a year, after which it could be extended. The suggestion results from the fact that some students interrupt their studies and when they leave they have an active license.
In the case of the previous system for issuing keys to use ArcMap, verification whether someone was a student entitled to a license was checked by an appropriate script in the student database. Now the University has to do it manually.

@YvesLeger 

ColeWhite

I definitely support this idea.  In higher ed, an ArcGIS Online organization may contain thousands of users. When a user leaves the institution, their ArcGIS Online account and its content will remain in place. With the exception of some cases where we want certain accounts and their data to be preserved (for example, a public story map that's been cited in someone's thesis), this means that our organization's storage capacity will be compromised by these stagnant accounts and data. It also potentially introduces a security risk. Having an expiry date for user accounts (such as the policy used by platforms like Google, etc), would greatly enhance the operational efficiency of organizations with large, transient user bases.

RyanKelley_NA

Are there any plans to implement a temporary or expiration option for AGOL user accounts?  This would definitely be super helpful to consultants or contractors that you want to provide with an account for say 30, 45, or 60 days...something like that.