Show Pop-ups in Attribute order rather than Alphabetical by Default

02-18-2021 03:51 PM
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

Hopefully this isn't something I've just missed!

It seems the default view for pop-ups is alphabetical rather than attribute order. To me it makes more sense to have the default order as attribute order - I'm sure most people creating features apply a logical approach to table design - and having to completely reorganise the pop-up is frustrating. Can the default order be changed to attribute order? Thanks,

Jamie

25 Comments
LeilaJackson1

Agreed - I have to waste an incredible amount of time reordering attributes because they are ordered alphabetically instated in the order of the attribute table. When selecting fields in the pop-up configuration there is the option to order by default which gives you the order of the attribute table, but it doesn't carry through once you leave the field selection to the field list. Please provide this as an option!

FredrikEkefjard1

I agree, this is frustrating. Has Esri fixed this "bug" in Enterprise 11.1, where (from what I understand) there is no MV Classic...?

AllisonTalsma

October 24, 2023, struggling with this issue. 

The workaround ChaselWood posted seems to work for me but time consuming when they should just display the way the schema intended... 

"A work around that I am using is opening the maps in the classic viewer, and disabling then enabling the popups. This ordered them in the intended order, though my products do not necessarily require I build in the new viewer, so I am not sure it will apply to every situation."

PatrickKelleher

Is there a way we can charge ESRI back for all the time wasted rearranging the fields the way you designed them. 

--ESRI: You are developing a serious credibility problem. At least acknowledge the post and tell us when you will fix it.

Jay_Geisen

I'm struggling with this too. I changed the field order back to what it should be in the Map Viewer. But then when I toggle back over to the Map Viewer Classic, it shows alphabetical order again. I can toggle back and forth between the MV and MVC and the pop up order is completely different. Unfortunately, the one that seems to get passed on to the applications is the MVC (alphabetic/wrong) order. Not sure what is going on at this point. 

TiffanyTuro
I have found that if I set order and save from MVC pop up configure window, it will retain field order into my final map popups. It is pretty ridiculous, but we often need to just get things done, and so we have to find a work around. I feel your frustration.
Jay_Geisen

Agreed on that last point, Tiffany. The thing is, as ridiculous as it all is (and it truly is), I wish that the one that worked was at least the new one (Map Viewer). Re-ordering in it is so much quicker than the classic one. Honestly, re-ordering huge lists in the classic one is enough to make me want to cry. At least the new one allows you to see more than like five fields at once and you can just drag and drop them. I'm not even going to describe the process in the MVC, as I'm sure you all know and hate it as well as I do. 

LeilaJackson1

One work around in the New map viewer is to go to Pop-ups -> Field List ->Select Fields ->Select All and then the attributes will be listed in the order of the attribute table vs. alphabetical. You can then unselect any you don't want to show.

DebHSF
by

Thank you @LeilaJackson1 that makes my life so much easier!

PatrickFilyer

Still an issue in 2024.