1,000 feature limit in ArcGIS online?

03-30-2016 01:28 AM
ErikaBaumann
New Contributor III

When publishing a Feature Service from ArcMap there is a feature limit of 1000 by default (see Parameters > Properties) . What workaround is recomended if I want to publish a service containing more than 1000 objects?

Is there a best practise?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In capabilities, select "Feature Access" and deselect "Tiled Mapping". Then you can change the maximum number of records.

Think Location
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

There is a lot of confusion around this setting; there is no limit to how many features you can publish to a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online, although it may be time consuming publishing from ArcMap over a slow connection, or even fail.  The setting for maximum number of records returned by the server is to do with how many features can be returned at a time for each Query call to the service.  You can see the effect of this when viewing your service in the arcgis.com web map viewer, you get this many features in the map at a time.  In ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro the entire feature layer may be queried, but the setting controls how many features page into the application at a time.  The workflow I have adopted for publishing very large feature layers (millions) is to upload a zipped File Geodatabase as an ArcGIS Online item and publish it manually from My Content, or with this tool if I want to control target spatial reference and maximum record count etc:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ea977181060b431cb46e1b4712078365

Back in Desktop to view the data you need to create the scale threshold and cartographic properties you need for the layer as this workflow doesn't handle pushing that up from a map.

arcgisdev007
New Contributor III

Hi BruceHarold,

"there is no limit to how many features you can publish to a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online", can you share with me the documentation for this?

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos