Ability to move items in map contents.....

Jump to solution
12-21-2012 08:58 AM
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III
Why are we not able to move items in the contents view to the order we would like? I have a service that is just labels that I would like on top, but see no way to get it to the top, only lets me move it down. The top layer (lines), will not allow me to move it down.  Whats up with this?
Tags (2)
13 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

The map service layer gets drawn differently depending on how you add it to the map.

If you add it without an index number for a layer (e.g., .../0) it means you are adding the map service and all sublayers inside the map service. In this case, when the map service layer is drawn, the map viewer of arcgis.com requests an image from the server of the layer. The server creates the image and returns it to the map viewer. The server is doing all of the work to draw the layer.

When you add a layer to a map with an index number (with the /0), you are now bypassing the the image drawing on the server. Instead, when the map viewer requests that individual layer from the map service, the server returns the actual coordinates of the features in the layer. The features are then drawn by the web browser (or other client) as graphic elements on a "graphics layer" of the browser. This graphics layer draws on top of everything and thus draws over any other map service layers drawn as images.

This post may help as well Who can make this  ESRI'S reply simple and easy to understand ?

While it describes the behavior of shapefiles, the same applies to map services drawn with an index number (effectively, you are drawing a map service as features).

Hope this helps.

Mike

NatalieBuchwald
New Contributor III

This is exactly what I needed to know. I just wish this type of information was easy to find in the documentation; grateful all the same for your timely and clear response.

0 Kudos
PhilipMarty
New Contributor III

This is yet another frustrating limitation of ArcGIS Online. I'd urge ESRI to find a creative solution. I shouldn't have to bend over backwards with my data to move a point file over top of the polygon file. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Philip,

This is a feature that is being worked on for the next version of Map Viewer.  Currently, you are limited in layer order depending on the layer type Tile layers on the bottom and feature layers above. The type of geometry (point or polygon) won't affect layer order.

For the time being, what are the layer types that you are working with? There are a few ways to get the layer order that you are looking for, but we are looking to make this easier in the future.

-Kelly

0 Kudos