Adding a cached image service to AGOL

06-21-2016 04:42 AM
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

I would like to add a cached image service to the map in AGOL. I am adding it as a background map. The image service is show correctly on AGOL map, but it seems that the images served from the image service are generated dynamically and the cache is not used.

I also want to mention, that I am using a custom tiling scheme.

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Martin,

I would verify the service is indeed cached.  If you go to the REST URL of this service, you will see the following if it's cached:

Any chance you could share the REST URL to this service?

0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

I am 100% sure that it is cached service. I am sorry, but I do not have a permission to publish the link to service.

I forgot to say that it seems like that when the map is accessed from Collector for ArcGIS on iPad. However, when I use AGOL on web I can see that tiles are coming.

The image is displayed with a 2-3 seconds delay when testing on Collector for ArcGIS. When using AGOL in browser the tiles are coming almost instantaneously.

However, I have tried just now to use the Collector APP on iPhone and it was much faster compared to iPad. I guess, that cache is used anyway. I was just wondering if there might be something special when setting cached layers to AGOL. I guess there isn't and the cache is used.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

One option you can do to speed up performance is do download the map to the device:

Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

Can I download just the background map, without the feature layer? I do not want to set my feature layer to be archived as it creates some other issues for us. As I remember correctly, I would have to make the whole map available offline to be able to download it. But it has been a long time since I was experimenting with offline option.

0 Kudos