Adding CSV file from a URL is not showing columns

08-16-2017 05:00 AM
SébastienKoller
New Contributor

In ArcGIS Online, when adding a csv file from a URL (Add Layer from Web), the system doesn't recognize the columns, it only shows _html_.  But my csv file contains the following columns: FID, ISO-3166 alpha-2, NS deployed

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sébastien,

Take out the hyphens and spaces. Put in underscores for your field names.

ISO_3166_alpha_2, NS_deployed

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with Adrian, you need to remove any spaces or special characters from the columns in the excel and try and have the columns names to start with a letter and not a number.

~Shan
0 Kudos
SébastienKoller
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We did try as you said but still the same message show up. It might come from our Share Point (linked to some security process). We are enquiring on our side. We will let you know when we find a solution.

Best regards

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you share the CSV layer publicly here so others can test it?

0 Kudos
SébastienKoller
New Contributor

Unfortunately the file is on our Share Point Organization, I cannot share it. I can send it to you if you'd like to test it. But it looks like that (saved as csv) :

ISO_3166_alpha_2NS_deployed
AUAustralian Red Cross
DKDanish Red Cross
ECEcuadorian Red Cross
ETEthiopian Red Cross Society
FIFinnish Red Cross
DEGerman Red Cross
GRHellenic Red Cross
IEIrish Red Cross Society
ITItalian Red Cross
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Do you have location data for it to be located on the map? 

This article may help:

CSV, TXT, and GPX files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
SébastienKoller
New Contributor

I have "only" these two fields. I use this file to make a join (ISO) with another one ("World Countries (Generalized)")) to display the countries in the join. As this file can be updated once in a while I would like that someone can update the file on share point and then automatically the map gets updated.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

The CSV has to have location data in order to be displayed on a map. See the above link for details.

0 Kudos
SébastienKoller
New Contributor

Actually you're right if I wanted to display something on the map, but in my case I "only" want to make a join. In the link you mention it is also written :

You can also add a CSV file that doesn't contain location information to Map Viewer as a table. This is useful when you want to join nonspatial data—for example, property damage claims related to a recent tornado—to spatial data such as a ZIP Codes layer using the Join Features analysis tool.

0 Kudos