Adding .CSV files to My Content, but Map won't display points

Jump to solution
01-29-2014 10:04 AM
PaulaCutrone
New Contributor II
I have been researching this issue all day and have tried IE 11, Mozilla, and Chrome browsers.  I have a .csv file of GPS coordinates (latitude/longitude) that I am able to Add under My Content.  I used a sample of 20 records and that file will load, publish as a feature service and display on a map. After I Add a .CSV with more records and publish it, I can see the points in the little preview window under the Feature Service.  When I then try to open that feature service in a new map none of the points will display.  I am at my wits end over this.  The full file is 3,487 points.  I have broken it down to 100, 250, and 500 records and NONE of those will actually display on the map although I am sure that the coordinates mapped correctly.  Is there a bug here?  I Added the whole file yesterday and was able to see all the points, but removed it due to an issue with one of the fields (long story, don't ask).  So now I am really perplexed.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  My esri Account Rep probably wants to strangle me with all the e-mails I have sent him today.  I have attached a picture of the preview window to show that the points do exist....they just won't display in a map for me. Thank you! ~Paula C., OCAC, Syracuse, NY
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulaCutrone
New Contributor II
As it turns out there was a field in my file that contained a reserved word, ORDER.  This was causing the problem. Now the file is working perfectly.  It would be helpful if a warning appeared when you add the item containing reserved words.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
It would be helpful if you could post the .csv file instead. 

and detail for us the steps you are taking to add a .csv as a feature.

It should work.  I have done it with a .csv files of significantly more points than that.

What may be happening is it is pushing them to an event layer and often the event layers don't show everything.  Take the event layer that is generated and export it to a shapefile or database and see what happens with the new feature class.

I have been researching this issue all day and have tried IE 11, Mozilla, and Chrome browsers.  I have a .csv file of GPS coordinates (latitude/longitude) that I am able to Add under My Content.  I used a sample of 20 records and that file will load, publish as a feature service and display on a map. After I Add a .CSV with more records and publish it, I can see the points in the little preview window under the Feature Service.  When I then try to open that feature service in a new map none of the points will display.  I am at my wits end over this.  The full file is 3,487 points.  I have broken it down to 100, 250, and 500 records and NONE of those will actually display on the map although I am sure that the coordinates mapped correctly.  Is there a bug here?  I Added the whole file yesterday and was able to see all the points, but removed it due to an issue with one of the fields (long story, don't ask).  So now I am really perplexed.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  My esri Account Rep probably wants to strangle me with all the e-mails I have sent him today.  I have attached a picture of the preview window to show that the points do exist....they just won't display in a map for me. Thank you! ~Paula C., OCAC, Syracuse, NY
0 Kudos
PaulaCutrone
New Contributor II
Hi Robert, Unfortunately I cannot post the file here as it is law enforcement sensitive.  My Account Rep is opening a ticket with esri because when he adds the item under his account in My Organization it won't work, but it WILL work in one of his other accounts in another Organization.  I did follow the exact instructions for adding a .CSV per the esri Help Guide.  I have even tried clearing my caches, shutting down and restarting my PC, etc.  All the typical PC go-to troubleshooting, you know how they say on the IT Crowd, "Did you try turning it off and on again?" Thanks for the suggestion. ~Paula
0 Kudos
PaulaCutrone
New Contributor II
As it turns out there was a field in my file that contained a reserved word, ORDER.  This was causing the problem. Now the file is working perfectly.  It would be helpful if a warning appeared when you add the item containing reserved words.
0 Kudos