Adding Data to New Field

Jump to solution
10-17-2017 11:21 AM
DougHaller1
New Contributor III

How do I populate a new field with a URL? I added a field to the attribute table.  I defined it as a string. I cannot seem to populate the field with any data, specifically a URL.  Is it possible that the length of the url exceeds the default charter length? Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Doug, 

When calculating string values in ArcGIS Online like URLs, you need to enclose them in single quotes like this:

Hope that works!

Carmel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Doug, 

Can you go to the item details of the layer > Data > Click on the name of the field in question > Show Detailed View > and share a screenshot of the information here?

How are you attempting to edit the field?

Have you tried using a short URL like https://www.esri.com ?

Carmel

0 Kudos
DougHaller1
New Contributor III

Thanks Carmel...I am logged in with my developer account, I am working with a shapefile that is now  a hosted feature layer. When I open it as a map and select "Add Field" I can add a field but not populate the field with data, in this case a URL.  I tried using Field Calculator but that did not let me add a string to all the cells in the column.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Doug, 

If you click on Edit on the toolbar > click on a feature > can you fill in attributes that way?

What message does the field calculator give you?

Carmel

0 Kudos
DougHaller1
New Contributor III

Hi Carmel, thanks...

I can use "Calculate" to add zeros to the new field.zerosurl But when I try to input a url, I receive an error message. See images.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Doug, 

When calculating string values in ArcGIS Online like URLs, you need to enclose them in single quotes like this:

Hope that works!

Carmel

0 Kudos