Adding new records to feature service

11-20-2012 02:55 AM
PeterBaldwin
New Contributor II
Hello,

I've having problems adding records to a feature service through ArcGIS Online. They appear to be added okay and the attributes can be set but it doesn't get written back to the database at all. If you refresh the map after a while the record has disappeared. Editing the attributes of existing records updated the database immediately but moving existing records doesn't update correctly either.

I am wondering if it is because this is a secure service, I have another service which is unsecured and it allows me to add new records which get written back to the database successfully. If you try moving a record in this service it doesn't update it again though.

I am using a feature service with ArcSDE 9.3.1 on Oracle 11g.

Thanks,

Peter.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Editing of public feature services is supported with ArcGIS Server 10.
Editing of secured public feature services is supported withArcGIS Server 10 SP1.
Editing of feature services behind a firewall is supported with ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1, with CORS enabled browsers.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PeterBaldwin
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I'm using ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1 at the moment and tried it using latest version of FireFox and Chrome. I've figured out that if I move an item I can get it to refresh in the database if I then edit any of the attributes - it's not ideal but works okay. Still having problems adding new records though. Like I said, editing existing features is working perfectly.

Thanks again,

Peter.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
This one will be hard to debug in the forums. You may want to contact Esri technical support.

Are you seeing any errors? You might try turning on Chrome's developer tools and watch the requests go through to the server. Click the Chrome Settings button in the upper right corner, click Tools then Developer Tools. Click the Network tab. Now, do the edit and watch the request and see if you see any errors.

Mike
0 Kudos
PeterBaldwin
New Contributor II
Thanks Mike, I think I'll open a support call about it.

It's odd because I don't see any errors in Chrome and it looks as if it has posted a new record successfully:

addResults: [{objectId:571696, globalId:null, success:true}]
0: {objectId:571696, globalId:null, success:true}
globalId: null
objectId: 571696
success: true
deleteResults: []
updateResults: []

but then when you go to do an attribute update on the new record it gives you the response:

addResults: []
deleteResults: []
updateResults: [{objectId:571696, globalId:null, success:false,�?�}]
0: {objectId:571696, globalId:null, success:false,�?�}
error: {code:-1, description:Update for the object was not attempted. Object may not exist.}
code: -1
description: "Update for the object was not attempted. Object may not exist."
globalId: null
objectId: 571696
success: false
0 Kudos