Adding Splash Screen & Attach Code Questions

02-29-2012 07:45 AM
DF
by
New Contributor II
Any one know how to add a splash screen to a web mapping application in ArcGIS Online.

Also, under my content and the web mapping application there is a button that says attach code.  What type of code can be uploaded (language and functionality)?  Is the the code for the entire application or could you just upload a code to add functionality.  All of the help topics (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/index.html#//010q0000000r000000) just say you can attach code but they don't do into any details.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you are publishing your web map through one of the application templates on ArcGIS.com, and hosting it there too, then there really isn't a way to do this for templates that don't support a splash screen. There are a few templates named "storytelling..." that do show a splash screen that let you type in some text that will appear.  If you want to do anything more, you'll have to download the template, modify the code, and host it on your own web server. 

The code attachment is a zip file that contains whatever amount of code you deem necessary.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JamesCucinelli
Occasional Contributor II
As I understand it, attach code is that if you publish the application on your web site then you want to attach the code so someone else can publish it on their web site they can. I don't know about how to add the splash screen idea from the map stories.

James Cucinelli
0 Kudos
ChristopherThiry
New Contributor
I am trying to add a splash screen to a Web Mapping Application.  I have tried a variety of templates, and have not found anything about splash screens.  Another posting said "one of the storytelling" templates has splash screens that you can configure.  Never said which one.

Also, how do I format the text part of the Storytelling (text & legend) template.  The box won't even allow carriage returns.

thanks in advance.

--chris thiry
map librarian
Colorado School of Mines
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The only storytelling template that has a spash screen currently is the storytelling tabbed one. And you are right, it's very basic in terms of the text. It doesn't support carriage returns. The storytelling text and legend template, while it doesn't have a spash screen, displays the description of the map. In this case, the text formatting is preserved.

If you know a bit of programming, you could download the template and customize it. You'd have to then host it on your own web server.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
KevinMacLeod1
Occasional Contributor III
Is it possible to modify the actual code of a site hosted on ArcGIS.com if you have a subscription?

For example, is it possible to download a template site like Basic Viewer, change it (i.e. to use some extra widgets, like the AGSJS TOC widget, or change it to use our geocoder service) and then re-upload it to ArcGIS.com, if our organization has a subscription with our own URL?

I saw the Web Mapping Application component, I was hoping this would allow us to modify the source code and still host it on ArcGIS.com Online, but it appears you can only turn on or off the various widgets in the Viewer templates. This is very nice.  However, we'd also love to be able to modify some things. In fact, the ArcGIS.com "viewer" is great, if only we could customize it to use our own Gecoder service. I see in the Settings it appears we can change it to use a custom Print service in Utilities. It would be nice to do the same and point to our Geocoder. I called Support and they said that is a common question but it is not supported at this time.

The other reason we'd like to be able to modify templates hosted at ArcGIS.com is the lack of a Table of Contents in Basic Viewer. The standard ArcGIS.com "viewer" is great but can not be downloaded unfortunately. It has a nice hierarchical Table of Contents and built in legend. That is exactly what users in the Javascript forums request often. But it can not be downloaded... unless we buy something called "ESRI Portal"?  None of the templates have this TOC functionality. That is a key reason why I would like to be able to modify the Basic Viewer.
0 Kudos
NickKenczka
New Contributor II
The only storytelling template that has a spash screen currently is the storytelling tabbed one. And you are right, it's very basic in terms of the text. It doesn't support carriage returns. The storytelling text and legend template, while it doesn't have a spash screen, displays the description of the map. In this case, the text formatting is preserved.

If you know a bit of programming, you could download the template and customize it. You'd have to then host it on your own web server.

Thanks,

Mike

So Mike in the instance that one downloads the code for a storytelling web app and customizes it to suit their needs the only way to host that customized application is on a web server?  We would not be able to load it up into the cloud if we have an organizational subscription?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
ToddPlank1
New Contributor II
Bringing this topic back up as I have the same question about modifing/customizing code and uploading to AGOL. 
From what I am reading it is not possible, correct?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It is not possible to upload a modified template and host it on ArcGIS Online. You have to deploy your modified template from your own web server.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos