Aggregate Symbology for Multiple Rows Per Polygon

a week ago
Labels (1)
SaraChowdhury
New Contributor

I am trying to display state-level symbology information using data structured as follows:

StateNumber of Household MembersFamily ID
North Carolina3a
North Carolina1b
North Carolina6c

ArcGIS online seems to only allow me to show information for one row at a time within the symbology (i.e. I can sort the symbology by max Number of Household Members and get a 6 for the symbology, or sort by min Family ID to show a 3 for symbology). However, I want to aggregate the sum for Number of Household Members and show that in the symbology (i.e. a 10 for the state of North Carolina).

Is there any way to do this that I am missing?

I have thought to add a column in my data preparation step to sum up each value and include that as a static repeating row in the data (i.e. have a column called Static Total Number of Household Members), but that limits me in my ability to filter the map using other data columns, like if I wanted to only view the data for household a, the symbology would still show a 10, so that is not a complete/viable solution.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I feel like this is something you could accomplish using Featuresets in Arcade but I haven't gone down this path in my own use of Arcade..

0 Kudos
SaraChowdhury
New Contributor

Unfortunately, I have attempted this and Arcade for symbology does not allow the use of $map eliminating the functionality of "FeatureSetByName."

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @SaraChowdhury,

Have you tried using the dissolve tool to see if that would get you the information that you need? If not, then you can give that a try and then use a group filter to filter databased on matching attributes in a field.

Another option is to use arcade to get a total for each unique attribute and update each record with the total for each matching attribute.

var State = $feature.State
var StateTotal = sum( filter( $featureset , 'State = @State' ) , 'Number of Household Members' )
Console( StateTotal )
return StateTotal 

The above code should work for what you need. You can use it to field calculate the total for each state and get the household totals.