Select to view content in your preferred language

"unable to connect to ArcGIS Online..." when opening a layer package in a group

10-13-2010 02:41 PM
D_Brusco
New Contributor
I've registered my ESRI account in the ArcGIS Online page. I'm using ArcMap Desktop Eval Edition 9.3.1 build 4000 on XP. I've applied SP1 and SP2. If I try to open my own layer package that is shared to the Group I get that error message, in a Sign on Failure window. This occurs even though I'm already signed onto ArcGIS.com.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Where exactly are you trying to sign in? From ArcMap or from the website at www.arcgis.com?

Try signing out everywhere then try to sign in again. If you can sign in to www.arcgis.com, can you open your layer package from the website? Click the Open button. This should automatically try to open ArcMap.

Also, just to clarify, you already had an ESRI Global Account and you clicked the "Register your Esri Global Account on the Sign In page, right? See attachment for a screenshot of what this looks like.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PatriciaNajera-Aguilar
New Contributor
In my case... unable to add my own content to ArcGIS Online. I have 2 package layers.

My OS is Windows 7 and exporting layers from ArcGIS10 trial.

Map Search for layers to add

0 results found

Click Go to start a search. 

No layers match your search. Check your spelling or try different keywords.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
@najerapa

When you sign in to ArcGIS Online and go to 'My Content' do you see your layer packages? Then when you do a general search for content you don't see them? If so, then you need to adjust the ArcGIS.com view preferences at the top of the page. At the top of the page, find 'Show: Web content only'. Change this setting to 'Show: All content'. Now do your search again and you should find your layer packages.

If you are on the Map tab and trying to find your layer packages so that you can add them to the map, this is not supported at this time.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos