ArcGIS ESRI app crashing when I change symbols

Jump to solution
11-30-2012 07:16 AM
ChandraMiller
New Contributor
I am having problems with the ESRI app.  My map is crashing the app.  I created a map to just test out what the exact problem is.  I have four layers added.  The last layer was USGS Gages.  The USGS Gages file is a point file and when I import it the symbols are red dots.  Everything works great as long as I leave the USGS Gages symbols as the default red dot.  When I change it to a purple dot, the app crashes when I open my map.  Why is changing a symbol color causing the app to crash?  Here is my map (with default symbols so it won't crash)- http://bit.ly/SznF5Z.

Thanks,

Chandra
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
MattClarke
New Contributor II
I have shared the map in question with Mike...however I have also found another "work around"....that is to add my layers in ArcGIS Explorer online and then save and bring them over to the viewer...this has allowed me to open the map with out crashing on to separate iOS devices...an iPhone and an iPad running different iOS releases.

Now does anyone know how to allow editing of the point attributes in the ArcGIS app?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You will need to use ArcGIS Server Feature Service or AGOL Hosted Feature Service to be able to perform data collection/edits on the ArcGIS for iOS, Android and Windows Phone apps. The apps cannot edit imported shapefiles, csvs or gpx files and map notes layers.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
MattClarke
New Contributor II
Thanks Russ...you helped jog my memory I didnt see an edit option under the ArcGIS app but I was seeing it while logged into the ArcGIS Online while on the mobile device.

Quick update...Safari is still having issue opening the map once it is clicked under my content. The page starts to load then fails...brilliantly.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm not finding any map you shared with me...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChrisMoore
New Contributor
We've encountered the same problem but have found a workaround.  The problem seems to surface when the Use box within the Change Symbols box is set to "A Single Symbol". 

When you get to the Change Symbols box, make the Use field "Unique Symbols" and then choose a field from within your dataset upon which to base your symbology.  Before uploading a shapefile, I've taken to adding a field that contains the same value for all records.  When I change the symbology within arcgis online, I base the change on this field and it allows me to give the same symbology to all records.
0 Kudos
ChandraMiller
New Contributor
SOLUTION FOUND !
This has been a HUGE problem for me, ranging from the mobile app crashes occurring with .csv files loaded in the map, to shapefiles, and even occasionally ArcServer layers. This ALWAYS happens if you change anything such as formatting/symbols/etc. and will sometimes happen even if you don't change anything.

SOLUTION : Author a map in the arcgis.com viewer, add any files and change any symbols/formatting/thing you want, save the map, re-open the map in arcgis explorer online, save the map in explorer online by hitting the save button. Now re-open the map in arcgis.com viewer and hit save. DONE.

The map will work in any of the mobile apps now, android or iOS. This goes for both the ArcGIS mobile app and the BAO mobile app.
It has something to do with the way in which explorer online "converts" the data to a readable format, but you cannot just open it after you save it in explorer online, you must re-save it in the arcgis.com viewer so the apps see your map as "readable". Clearly a bug in the way the arcgis.com map viewer saves things, but explorer online fixes it!

This work around was working successfully until last Friday afternoon.  I didn�??t change anything in my map and now the app is crashing again.  Is this issue being worked on?  Did anyone else have the problem reemerge?

Chandra
0 Kudos
MattClarke
New Contributor II
I dont even have the option now to open my content up in the ArcGIS online. I am given two options ArcGIS.com Map Viewer and ArcGIS Desktop. What gives?
0 Kudos
MattClarke
New Contributor II
No seriously, I am no longer able to view ArcGIS Explorer as an option for my content. What is the deal?
0 Kudos
chris_miller_alaska
New Contributor III
I am having the same issue...our Explorer Online maps can only be opened through the direct link. It's no longer an option from within ArcGIS.com  Just a hunch...but it appears that the recent update is just one step closer to phasing out ArcGIS Explorer altogether.  ESRI has been making it harder and harder to access Explorer Online since they removed the Explorer link from the ArcGIS.com Home page in June. 

If this is the case, ESRI please don't keep you users in the dark. A lot of time/resources have been directed towards Explorer Online development.
0 Kudos
MattClarke
New Contributor II
Well, its a Christmas miracle...ArcGIS Explorer is back as an option.
0 Kudos